Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Honey mustard and herb broiled salmon


"Christmas is coming"

Can you believe it’s already November? I feel like this year (2014) went by super-fast, I was just doing my first list of Christmas month recipes and now here we are for the second round. I don’t know if you guys remember a post I made very early on called “I hate salmon” those days are long since gone. A chance encounter with salmon wellington made me realize the wonders that I can achieve with this delicate, delicious fish paired with mustard. Just so you know this salmon recipe according to my mother, is the best salmon she has ever had.

About a month ago I had to quickly cook a salmon dinner for some guests we had staying with us. At the same time we were rushing to head out the house to go to the beach. I had a whole salmon filet about 22 inches long, with really no time to deal with slicing and standing in front of a grill or stove to sear or grill. So I decided in my rush to season and broil it whole. Luckily salmon is a fish that cooks quickly so all I had to do was make a great sauce to accompany it.

 I opened the refrigerator and I grabbed every single herb we had on hand along with some butter, honey and mustard and made a lovely rich flavorful sauce. The sauce is thick and pasty and very full of herbs. Every herb adds something unique to the sauce, especially the ginger and the scallions.  It will be a great addition to the Christmas dinner table. The whole salmon on a lovely platter is also a wow factor within itself. I know you guys will love this!




Ingredients (printable recipe) 

Sauce
3 table spoon Butter
¼ cup chopped fresh Sage
1 cup chopped Onions
7 Garlic cloves minced
¼ cup minced fresh Ginger
¼ cup fresh Thyme leaves
¼ cup fresh Rosemary leaves chopped
2 cup Honey
1 cup Mustard
½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 cup chopped Scallion greens

Salmon filet
1 whole salmon filet (skinless)
1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 tablespoon No salt seasoning
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
2 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 tablespoon Oil


Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 500 degrees/ broil
  • Chop all the vegetables and herbs
  • Combine all the dry seasoning ingredients, onion powder, no salt seasoning, sugar, black pepper and smoked paprika.
  • Place the fish onto a prepared baking sheet
  • Rub the seasoning mixture onto both sides of the fish
  • Rub on the soy sauce and then rub on the oil last
  • Place the in the oven middle rack and broil for exactly 15 minutes
  • While the fish is cooking prepare the sauce
  • On medium low heat Melt butter and sauté the chopped sage leaves
  • Add the onions and cook slowly until soft
  • Add the garlic and ginger
  • After about 5 minutes of cooking add the thyme and rosemary leaves, cook until aromatic
  • Add honey, mustard, sugar and salt cook for 5 minutes on low
  • Lastly add the scallion greens to the sauce and let it wilt and flavor the sauce for a few minutes
  • After 15 minutes have elapsed remove the salmon from the oven and allow it to rest
  • Once the sauce is finished coat the entire salmon with the mustard sauce and serve.





Xoxo Greedy Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment