Friday 11 April 2014

Spinach Mushroom Pizza



M...eat...less

Who doesn’t love a great pizza, especially a great healthy pizza. Homemade pizzas are always the best, I love being able to control the ingredients; the perfect amount of sauce cheese and toppings all to my liking. I was told by a friend that he cant eat it because its too healthy for him. I took that as a good sign. This recipe is semi-homemade, as I enlisted the help of Pillsbury and Belcour to make the process even easier.

I don't know if you have noticed, but I'm not crazy about traditional tomato sauces, my last pizza I used a garlic dill bechamel and this one I'm using a tomato chutney. Belcour makes amazing jams, sauces and chutneys. I have used their spicy tomato chutney in place of pizza sauce many times and its works so well.  My go to pizza dough has got to be the Pillsbury  “just add water” dough, super easy and very tasty. As for the toppings, your only limit is your imagination. I chose to stick with a simple sauté of shallots, mushrooms and garlic with fresh spinach. 




Notice my crust is super thin, that's the way I like it. If you want a thicker crust don’t roll the dough out so thin, however you will end up with a smaller pizza. My next pizza I think I might do half basil leaves half spinach. Eexperiment with different combinations until you have found your perfect match.





Ingredients (Printable recipe)

1 cup Spinach leaves
1 8oz package of button Mushroom
1 large Shallot
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 6.5 oz jar tomato chutney
3 table spoon Oil (plus extra to grease the dough)
1 prepared pizza dough
½ cup shredded smoked gouda
1 cup shredded mixed Italian cheeses




Greedy tips:

  • The Chutney I used is very spicy. You may want to use a different brand if you don't like spicy foods
  • Make sure to oil the dough especially on the edges so they get golden brown and crispy when baked
  • Bake at 415 degrees for around 10 to 12 minutes, but watching the color of the crust is a better timer because everyone's oven is different. If you want it more brown leave it in longer.
About the mushrooms....
  • Don't buy pre-sliced mushrooms, get whole button or cremini mushrooms
  • Do NOT wash your mushrooms, they will soak up all the water. To clean them take a damp paper towel and wipe them clean before slicing
  • Remove the stems and slice the tops
  • Make sure the oil is super hot before throwing your shrooms in to the pot. Feel free to add them all as you see from the video they shrink up considerably.
  • Add salt to the mushrooms and shallots last so they don't produce too much water and take longer to brown


 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment