Tuesday 17 March 2015

Fried shrimp & Tartar sauce


Something Smells Fishy...


This is my boyfriend’s absolute favorite way to eat shrimp. I can’t tell you how many times I have had to make this for him. I decided it was high time I post this recipe to the blog. It’s super crunchy and flavorful. The tartar sauce is so very easy to prepare and uses ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator.

Panko breadcrumbs are a gift from above. They are the best thing to ever happen to fried shrimp. They give you the lightest crunch without being overly tough. For some reason shrimp seems to double in size every time it’s breaded and fried with panko especially when the center is split. When I split them I can buy large shrimp and save some money and not buy the jumbo. I used to fry them without splitting them, but after seeing it split at a seafood restaurant in City Island I never went back to frying them whole. 



The tartar sauce is my go too recipe. I have made this also a number of times. If I have lemon on hand I will add some lemon juice for extra tartness. However If you don’t have any lemon juice on hand you can certainly make it without, It’s just as good! I only used a half bag of shrimp for this recipe, and I made a small portion of tartar sauce. But a little goes a long way you can certainly double the recipe as needed. Hope you enjoy this delicious fried shrimp recipe. 

Ingredients (printable recipe)

½ lb shrimp deveined tail on
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
2 cup panko breadcrumbs

Tartar sauce
¼ cup mayonnaise
3 ½ tablespoon sweet relish
1 tablespoon shredded onion
½ clove garlic shredded
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoon French dressing (or thousand island)
½ teaspoon lemon juice (optional)

Instructions
  • Heat oil to 375/400 degrees
  • Mix together the tartar sauce ingredients and set aside in the refrigerator
  • Season the shrimp with salt black pepper and ground allspice
  • In a dish beat the egg and milk and salt together
  • Toss the seasoned shrimp in flour
  • shake off excess flour and dip in the egg/milk mixture and then dredge in the panko
  • Fry in the hot oil until golden brown and crispy
  • Serve the shrimp with the tartar sauce on the side. 


 Greedy Tips:
  • If you don't have panko you can dip in flour to egg wash and back to flour, however your crust will not be light an crunchy, you will have a light but denser crust. Also flour batter tends to go soft as it cools and absorbs the moisture, however Panko bread crumbs remains crispy.

 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment