Friday 26 June 2015

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Salad


Summa Summa Summa time!


This sweet potato salad is all kinds of delicious. The roasted sweet potatoes chick peas and raisins tossed in a deliciously sweet glaze is just perfection. You can have this hot or at room temp, the best thing is there is no mayo, so no worrying.

This was another dish I made on father’s day to accompany our foil roasted fish. Who would think that a cinnamon spiced sweet potato would go well with fish? Well it absolutely did. Sweet and salty for me has always yielded the most delicious results. Initially for this summer sides recipe I wanted a mayo free traditional potato salad, two tests so far and it’s not quite ready for the public, so I’m still working on that recipe.

That day I decided to kill two birds with one stone.  It being a day I had to prepare dinner, as well as being in need of a recipe for the blog. My cousin Lauren and I brainstormed in the kitchen for literally 5 minutes and came up with the idea for this sweet potato salad. I was on the fence about it being a warm salad, but she suggested since we are pairing it with fish a warm salad rather than a cold one would work better; and I agreed. Hence this recipe was born, mayo free, but a sweet warm and full of spice potato salad. I’ll admit this is kinda screaming fall to me, but potato salad on a whole is summer territory. So even though this is a warm salad with spices and raisins it still works as a great summer side dish.




4 sweet potatoes
1 can chick peas (drained)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 ½ tablespoon cinnamon

Glaze
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup raisins
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt



Greedy tips:

  • Roast the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender and getting crispy, the chick peas will also be golden brown and crispy about 12-18 minutes at 450 degrees. 
  • You want to serve this immediately so the potatoes and especially the chick peas retain their crunch.

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment