Wednesday 20 January 2016

Dark Chocolate Chip coffee cookies


"Feast of Saint Valentine"

Sweet chewy and chocolaty with hints of coffee undertones; that’s the next chocolate recipe today. There always seems to be an endless array of cookie flavors to choose from. I always try to do a spin on my classic chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies whenever I can. This year we welcome the addition of coffee and dark chocolate. It adds an absolute punch to the chewy sweet cookie.


The members of my taste test squad aka my family are saying the cookie taste like milo, weird I know. It must be the mix of flavors. The coffee flavor for me could have been stronger, it’s definitely an “add to taste ingredient”. I know most persons may want the coffee flavor to be super strong but for me I like a mild hint of coffee with my chocolate. However in the test batch the coffee got a little lost in the mix and was overpowered by Hershey special dark. So I added more in the recipe below.

If I had made my original chocolate chip oatmeal cookies they would already be done by now. Currently we have two single cookies left from the entire batch, and the only reason why we have any left is because 50 percent of our household does not like chocolate. For whatever reason it’s a Jamaican thing, unless its hot cocoa tea no one likes chocolate, not cookies, not cake, I have no idea why. In any case this is definitely a breakfast cookie, especially if had warm. In my world any dessert with coffee added automatically counts as breakfast (am I wrong?). Enjoy these, if you like chocolate, but you wouldn’t be reading this post if you didn’t :).


Ingredients (printable recipe)

2 stick melted salted butter
3 ¼ cup flour
1 ½ tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 table spoon molasses
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 oz milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

Instructions


  • Melt butter in the microwave
  • Combine dry ingredients, baking soda, coffee, chocolate powder and flour in a bowl
  • Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer
  • In another dish whisk egg, milk, molasses and vanilla
  • Add the liquid mixture to the butter and sugar mix
  • Then add the flour/oatmeal mixture, mix until incorporated then stop
  • Scrape down the bowl, add in the chocolate chips, mix until incorporated then stop
  • Cover and place in the fridge for one hour
  • After an hour scoop cookies unto a prepared sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees
  • After 10 minutes remove from oven and allow it to rest on the hot sheet pan for 5 minutes
  • After the 5 minutes transfer them to a cooling rack to completely cool


 Greedy tips:
  • Save a few chocolate chips and stick them on top of the chilled dough before baking. That way chocolate chips will be on top of the cookie as well as in the center.
  
Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment