Time for some beautifully flavored rice. Today mushrooms are the veggies of choice. The rice is perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. Check out the video recipe to see how you can make perfect basmati rice every single time without fail.
It was my intention to make a mushroom rice bowl filled with steamed veggies, carrots, etc. However I went to the refrigerator and found that we had none of the items I intended to use in the rice bowl. So I made the mushroom rice and in the greedy tips I detailed how to make the rice bowl. But fear not, the rice is good all on its own, no gravy needed.
You all must be saying wow, rice! I hardly ever make rice for the blog (dunno why) But I seriously need to change that. This rice was really great, and the method to cooking this basmati rice is fool proof. I learned it a while back from Chef John on food wishes. And since then (once I have the patience), I always measure and time the rice to get it perfect. We only use basmati rice in our household so I don’t know if this method works across the board for all rice. But I would implore you to use basmati rice; it’s so light and delicious with a slight stickiness, just perfect.
Ingredients (printable ingredient list)
2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 medium onion diced
4 sage leaves chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 cup basmati rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cup coconut milk
1 ½ cup water
2 stalks scallion crushed
3 sprigs thyme
- In addition to the ingredients above for the bowl you will need, chopped broccoli, carrot slices , baby corn, watercress slices (optional for crunch), some string beans, ½ bunch parsley, 3 garlic cloves, ¼ teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- While the rice is cooking, wash and veggies and in a steamer basket steam the broccoli, carrots, corn, and string beans for about 5-6 minutes. (never boil them) Remove them from the steam. You want them cooked with a slight crunch remaining make sure to drain them properly, even pat dry them to make sure to remove as much moisture as possible
- In a food processor combine the parsley, garlic, oil, honey and salt, blend in to a fine puree
- In a bowl toss together the steamed veggies, watercress slices and the garlic parsley oil mixture
- When the rice is cooked, fill your bowl with the mushroom rice and this really flavorful steamed vegetable mixture and enjoy.