Tuesday 30 August 2016

Spicy Escovitch chicken



Fowl

Everybody knows about escovitch fish, but not many have ventured into the land of escovitch chicken.  It’s really the marriage of two wonderful things, crispy fried chicken and spicy vinegary pickle sauce. If you love either of the two, or both, this is the recipe for you.

I have been making Escovitch chicken, or shall I say experimenting with escovitch chicken for some time now. I know I mentioned in the past my college boyfriend who died of cancer seven years ago. Our families are still as close as ever and it was his mother who introduced us to escovitch chicken in NY. She used to buy it at a restaurant whose name I forget and then she made it too. They were absolutely, beyond delicious. Every now and again I try to make it. And each time I fry the chicken a different way.


Today I wanted to keep the essence of chicken but not making the breading super heavy. I wanted just a light dusting of flour on the top before frying for that crunch. This last recipe was so hard to decide on. I went back and forth with so many ideas and by chance ended up doing this. Firstly I had made escovitch fish the night before and we had left over pickle sauce. Secondly, all we had was chicken drumsticks in the freezer. And lastly I was already cooking shrimp and salmon with rice and peas for dinner so I wanted a meat that I knew everyone would eat. Sunday dinner is not the ideal time for experimentation.

A really lovely way to add some pizazz to your fried chicken


 Ingredients (printable recipe)

To season chicken
10 drumsticks or wings
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon Chile powder
¼ teaspoon Habanero powder
½ teaspoon Allspice powder
1 tablespoon Onion powder
½ scotch bonnet minced
For the flour
1 cup flour
¾ cup corn starch
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
Oil for deep frying
Spicy pickle
½ cup sliced onion
2 scotch bonnet pepper sliced
1 tablespoon Allspice berries
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Sugar
½ cup Vinegar

Instructions
  • Make the pickle by combining all the pickle ingredients and set aside in a dish to soak. You can even make the pickle from the night before and refrigerate it in a jar
  • Season chicken with all the seasoning ingredients
  • Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 45 minutes
  • Heat oil to 365 degrees
  • In a bag combine, flour, corn starch, cayenne pepper, salt, and onion powder
  • Place the chicken in the bag and shake to coat thoroughly
  • Once the oil has reached temperature shake off the excess flour and fry the chicken until dark brown and crispy about 12-15 minutes
  • Serve with pickle sauce on top.








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment