Wednesday 22 February 2017

Jamaican Sweet potato cornmeal pudding


"JAMAICAN FLAVORS"

Who doesn’t love a warm slice of Jamaican pudding. It’s warm, cozy, sweet and satisfying goodness. I have been trying my hand at pudding for a few week’s now. Slowly getting better and better at it. MY favorite pudding is sweet potato pudding so it’s not a surprise that I would attempt to make one. This one is a little different than your average sweet potato pudding. Get your rum cream ready.


Since I started the Jamaican flavors month I have been testing a few pudding recipes. One day I set out to make traditional sweet potato pudding and didn’t have enough sweet potatoes nor did I have milk. So it was a cornmeal pudding with a bit of sweet potato in it and I used rum cream instead of milk. It was a big hit flavor wise my father loved it and basically ate the whole thing. For me it was a bit off texturally as it was very crumbly due to the cornmeal. I decided I would try again and be more deliberate this time. I much prefer sweet potato to cornmeal as stated earlier, but I do like the texture the cornmeal gives (if it’s not too much). And since rum cream worked the first time I decided to use rum cream again in the recipe. As a matter of fact, my pudding s from hence forth will always use rum cream in them, period!

The second attempt was good but I added, rum cream, red label wine, white rum and the rum soaked raisins to the mix and it was super rummy. Delicious but the alcohol was very intense, hence the recipe got tweaked again. My mother was not a fan of the attempt saying that the texture was off because I used too much cornmeal. To which I answered it’s a sweet potato cornmeal pudding, duh. Why doesn’t my mom want me to be great at pudding? She said I have taken her title in everything else but pudding….I need to stay in my lane. And she is kinda right.  I’m not sure anyone makes a better sweet potato or cornmeal pudding. Does that mean I’m not going to try? Not at all. The difference between my mother and myself is she never ventures from a recipe. Her sweet potato pudding is exceptional, but what if we used rum cream instead of milk, or used more cornmeal and combined the two, or didn’t add raisins, that’s me. I’m the trial and error girl. I’ll make pudding until I get it right this recipe is just the start, and a great start if you ask me.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

7 large shredded sweet potatoes
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
2 ½ cup rum cream
3 cups coconut milk
2 cup evaporated milk
1 ½ cup brown sugar
1 cup rum soaked raisins
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon vanilla

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Shred the sweet potato
  • Place in a bowl and add the cornmeal, cinnamon and nutmeg  and mix together
  • In another bowl mix rum cream, coconut milk, evaporated milk, sugar, rum soaked raisins, salt and vanilla
  • Make sure to mix out all the sugar until its dissolved in the liquid
  • Set aside 1 cup of the liquid mixture
  • Pour the rest of the liquid unto the sweet potato mix and thoroughly mix, the whole thing should be a slightly runny mixture
  • Pour sweet potato pudding mix into form greased and floured pans or any non-stick pan you normally use
  • Take the reserved milk mixture and pour all over the top spreading it around evenly with your fingers (I forgot to spread it and poured it only in the center)
  • Bake for one hour, the pudding will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a tester should come out clean.
  • Serve warm or at room temp







Xoxo Greedygirl



No comments:

Post a Comment