Friday 28 April 2017

Spicy Jackfruit fried Rice


M...eat...less

Hello my name is the Greedy Girl and I enjoy tricking my husband who does not eat fruits, into eating fruits. This is NOT one of those jackfruit dishes that will make you think you’re eating chicken. Reason being I used ripe jackfruit. For a sneakier way of incorporating the jackfruit you would use young jackfruit in brine, but it takes a while to cook and become tender. So I decided to skip that all together and just use the ripe ones which we can get easily in Jamaica once it’s in season. And let me tell you, it is the season.


The jackfruit imparts a fruity fragrance to the whole rice, especially when its covered up and had as left overs. The ripe jackfruit to me gets sweeter as it is cooked and the sugars caramelize. The whole thing gets very dark and sticky and its barely recognizable. It’s almost as if there are bits’ of pineapples in the rice but you get the burst of super sweet tart jackfruit flavor every now and again.

The thing that for me ties the whole thing together is the ginger. It’s a great flavor vehicle to bind the sweet jackfruit with the saltiness from the oyster sauce, chili sauce and soy sauce. If you have been following my takeout recipes you will notice that this oyster sauce, chili sauce and soy sauce combo is my go to mix for all things Asian and takeout. If you don’t like it spicy you can switch the chili sauce for a garlic sauce, and you can also swap the oyster for a teriyaki or hoisin. My favorite combo however is the chili sauce, oyster and soy. I always keep them on hand because my husband adores fried rice. That’s even how I could trick him. He loves it so much he almost does not care what’s in it.

If you can’t get a hold of jackfruit but you want a nice fruity fried rice, pineapples would be a great substitution, less exotic but it would get the job done.





For jackfruit marinade
1 cup Jackfruit
½ teaspoon Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
1 teaspoon Soy sauce
For the rice
3 tablespoon sesame oil
1 cup Onion
4 chili peppers
3 Garlic cloves shredded
2 tablespoon shredded Ginger
1 teaspoon Chili sauce
2 tablespoon Oyster sauce
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon Vinegar or fish sauce
1 tablespoon Honey or palm nectar(optional)
3 ½ cup cooked rice
1 cup Scallion chopped





Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment