Tuesday 18 July 2017

Rum cream coffee cooler


"Icy Cool"


This is probably the most delicious way to enjoy a cold iced coffee, spiked with creamy rum. I have made several versions of this recipe each time having a hit or miss and using the past miss to make the next better. Once night I finally got it right. And since this month is all about cool refreshing icy cold things for summer I decided to share the wealth.


I have always been a coffee drinker. My great grandmother got us acquired to the taste of brewed caffeinated Jamaican coffee, when she soaked her crackers in the coffee and fed it to us. We were in the age range of three to eight. Nothing brought us more joy than to sit around her after dinner with her cup of sweet black coffee, each taking turns getting a soaked cracker. My mother always scolded her and told her not to feed us coffee but she didn’t care. I am pretty sure that’s where my love for coffee came from; I adore it. I’m not a daily drinker, for me it’s more of a special treat that I whip up depending on my mood.

I love rum cream, but on its own I sometimes find it hard to drink a glass of it un-chased. But what can you chase a rum cream with? For a while not I have been experimenting with coffee and rum cream mixed. Most of my attempts one flavor ends up over powering the other, and I could never quite get that balance until now.

My husband has never really been a fan of rum cream. He will taste it but then turn up his nose as if it’s not good. One night we were watching moves and I just had the urge to drink something cold, rummy and sweet with a hint of coffee. I went in the kitchen and whipped up one glass of this concoction and it was so amazingly delicious. I went back upstairs and didn’t even think to offer him any…because…he doesn’t like rum cream. So he says “baby what’s that” I handed him the glass to take a sip to which his replay was “ mmmmmmmmm” needless to say we finished the glass sip for sip. He almost finished the whole thing.

This recipe makes two glasses, so you won’t have to share. Because whoever you give a sip, may not want to give it back.  




Ingredients Makes 2 drinks (printable recipe)

2.5 tablespoon brown sugar
3 teaspoon instant coffee
1 pinch salt
½ cup hot water
¾ cup evaporated milk
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup rum cream or Irish cream (1/2 cup per drink) 
Lots of ice

Instructions

  • In a cup combine brown sugar, instant coffee, salt and hot water
  • Mix until the sugar and coffee is dissolved
  • Add evaporated milk and nutmeg and stir until combined
  • Place the liquid in the freezer or refrigerator to chill completely
  • Add ice cubes to a glass and pour in ½ cup of rum cream per glass
  • Portion the coffee mixture into two glasses and add to the rum cream
  • Stir together, top with more ice and enjoy






No comments:

Post a Comment