Friday 1 June 2018

Peaches and Blood orange mascarpone cream pie





3.14 

Where do I even start with this pie. The pie that I put in a pie dish that was too deep, causing my beautiful braided crust slid down the sides. The same pie that everyone adored none-the-less. I bring to you, the iconic peaches and cream, made with love, and a bit of disaster, greedy girl style.

I made this pie while in New York for some graduations and a baby shower. This should have been a cherry pie, but I went to a few grocery stores and couldn’t find fresh cherries. Instead of continuing the hunt, I saw some mascarpone on ice and I bagged up a few peaches and called it a day. While still in the grocery store I thought, peaches and cream is so cliché what else can I add to it, and that’s when my eyes caught the blood oranges.

It's not like you couldn’t use regular orange, its just the flavor of the blood orange is more subtle. It almost has a berry flavor in its sweetness. And peaches on a whole, are not the boldest in flavor so it complemented it well. I’ve never seen blood oranges in Jamaica, so if you are in Jamaica and reading this, the best substitute would be a tangerine, and if none, just use a regular degular shmegular orange. Also, if you have no mascarpone, use cream cheese. Substitutions are the spice of life.

Now a word about this deep pie dish. My grandmother has about 6 pie dishes, I chose a nice heavy deep red one. This pie has two layers the peaches and the cream so I figured the deep dish would be perfect, wrong! To be honest I don’t know if it’s the depth that caused it or the fact that the peach filling did not come all the way up, or if my crust was too buttery, or too warm. But it slid right down the sides. I still proceeded to finish, photograph and eat this pie. It’s the second favorite tasting pie of the month. One I may or may not attempt again.  


If you have noticed I don’t put up a pie crust recipe, there are so many good ones online. Not to mention ready made ready to use crusts in the frozen food section at the grocery store. For a good crust recipe click here: pie crust recipe



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 pie crust
6 to 8 peaches
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon blood orange zest
½ cup blood orange Juice
3 tablespoon cornstarch
Sweet Mascarpone cream
8 oz mascarpone cream cheese
½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon blood orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla or ¼ teaspoon almond extract

Instructions

For the pie filling
  • Place the pie crust in the dish, crimp the edges and place in the refrigerator
  • Peel and remove the pits form all the peaches
  • Slice each peach into about 5-6 pieces
  • Place in a bowl and add sugar, blood orange juice and zest, let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  • Pour off the liquid into a sauce pan dissolve cornstarch into the liquid over medium heat and allow it to thicken
  • Once its thick toss back in the soaked peaches
  • Make sure the mixture is room temperature or cold
  • Pour into the prepared pie dish and bake for 45 minutes to an hour
  • Allow this to completely cool

For the mascarpone cream
  • Whip the heavy cream in a mixer until thick
  • Add the mascarpone cheese and continue mixing until you have stiff peaks
  • add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, blood orange zest , mix to incorporate
  • Place the mascarpone cream on top of the cooled pie and put in the refrigerator to set for at least 45 minutes
  • Serve as a cold pie





XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment