Friday 9 August 2013

Sticky Sour-sop glazed doughnut




Independence Month!

There are some things that make life worth living, and I’m sure you will agree the doughnut is high up on that list. My favorite types of doughnuts are jelly filled and glazed. I just can never get enough of the sticky sweet exterior and the soft doughy inside.

When you think of Jamaican doughnuts, immediately that red and white box comes to mind. Prestige sugar dusted jelly filled pillows of joy…..sigh…... I wish I had the recipe for those.  

However glazed doughnuts are becoming the new favorite here. I decided to use a Jamaican fruit, Sour sop, to make this glaze. 

The look: Sour Sop is a large fruit with a green spiky skin, very reptilian looking. It is filled with a soft white pulp inside with a fair amount of seeds (google it). It’s the cousin to my favorite fruit sweet sop, because only in Jamaica would we have a sweet and a sour sop. 

The taste: Sour sop is not terribly sour as a lime would be, Its just very tart with a slight sweetness when ripe, not a fruit you would really eat, its traditionally used to make juice. (Later this month I will be posting a sour sop juice recipe)

When blended it makes a milk looking mixture. So I just replaced the milk in traditional glaze with the sour sop pulp…Can you say delish?







Makes 12 long twist doughnuts
(Printable Recipe) 

Dough
2 packs yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 ¼ cup scalded milk (cooled)
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening
4 cups A/P flour

Glaze
2/3 cup sour sop
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
½ lime juice










This recipe was the definition of trial and error, please remember that I HATE to bake.  I must have made 100 different shapes for these doughnuts and just ended up twisting them. It was the easiest method because the dough is so very soft. Never the less it yields a very nice texture when fried. 

Was it worth it? In the end I was most impressed with the sour sop glaze. In the future I would probably buy plain doughnuts from my bakery and glaze them at home.  That's my greedy tip!

Xoxo GreedyGirl