Monday 12 August 2013

JJ’s Grilled bun n cheese




Independence Month!

In Jamaica, all year round but especially in Easter time, a delicious snack consumed is bun and cheese.  Now that I think about it, we Jamaicans like to slap cheese on everything, bun, bulla, bread, crackers, even in patties. And the cheese I’m referring to is the thick, salty, cheddar ‘tastee’ Jamaican cheese. When you think of Jamaica and you think of cheese, this comes to mind.

One evening we were all gathered at a friend’s house and getting hungry. He had just moved in his new house, so our choices were limited to cupboard staples; jerk Vienna sausages, corned beef, mackerel, or bun and cheese. I was feeling adventurous and decided to let the gentlemen do the choosing, as I laid in the couch and awaited my food.

Now the aroma coming from the kitchen smelled heavenly, I was wondering what on earth were these dudes mixing up. Just as I was about to go see for myself, my boyfriend leaned over the couch and said three words “baby taste this” without hesitation or question (because I’m greedy)  I bit down into a yummy sandwich. A crispy exterior, soft and warm bun with Jamaican cheese, with a side of saute Vienna sausages. It was so delicious; I’ve never even though of having a grilled cheese using bun instead of bread. Not to mention the fact that he cooked the sandwich and the Vienna sausages in the same pot! I wonder if that added any flavors? The sausages are optional in this recipe but I’m not taking any chances. 

I love my savory foods as you may know. The sweet and salty combo gets me every time. What a great twist to a traditional Jamaican snack? Immediately I knew this recipe had to be on the blog with a few tweaks. For my version I used a mix of cheeses, not including the traditional Jamaican cheese, why?  It does not melt. That was my only critique of JJ's grilled cheese, even though his cheese was warm. If you prefer to use the tastee cheese I would recommend shredding it rather than a thick slice.

This is really a great snack. And I can’t even lie, the spicy Vienna sausages on the side…match made in culinary heaven

Try this; if you’re Jamaican you probably already have all these ingredients in your kitchen




Serves two people


Ingredients 



1 can spicy Vienna sausages
4 slices of bun
2 table spoon butter
1 oz Smoked gouda
1 oz Feta cheese (optional)
1 oz cheddar













Instructions



Melt the butter in a sauce pan

Add the sausages and begin to brown

Add the bun cut side down to the other side of the pot, while rotating the sausages

Flip to the other side, add the cheese to the center, close the sandwich and allow the cheese to melt in the center



I totally forgot to snap a pic with the cheese on the bun in the pot. But you basically get the point. I'm sure we all have made a million and one grilled cheese sandwiches. This one is awesome, and it was just as delicious as the first time I had it.



Xoxo Greedygirl