Friday 14 February 2014

Tamarind glazed Wings

 

   
Appetizing...

My sister hates the grocery store, to the point where she waits in the car while I go in and shop. But what she does not understand is that the best ideas come to you while looking for something completely different. Originally I had every intention of making ginger glazed chicken wings.  I was walking towards the produce isle all the lights dimmed and a spotlight hit the box of tamarinds and a thought came to my head. I questioned if I should change my recipe idea to include a tamarind glaze, but threw out the idea finished shopping and went on my merry way home. Once home I was plagued with the what ifs and shoulda-coulda-woulda’s.  The very next day I went on instagram and saw @fatboo making tamarind juice, I took it as a sign, went straight back to the store and did what I should have done the day before. 


It’s sweet and tangy with hints of ginger and lemon. The tamarind flavor stands out among the ginger and lemon so there is some hierarchy. I decided to season the wings very simply in order for the sauce to stand out. But even though they are seasoned very simply they pack big flavor and can be had just as they are with no sauce.  






Serves 18-36 depending on appetizer portion sizes



Ingredients (printable recipe)

18 whole chicken wings
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp canola oil

Sauce
15 tamarind pods
2 tsp. lemon zest
3 tsp. ginger grated
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup Honey
¼ cup sugar





Greedy tips           


  • Try grilling or pan frying  the wings before tossing in the sauce if you don’t like deep frying
  • Leave the wings whole if you choose and use a 12 minute cooking time. Separated they cook in about 8-10 minutes at 350 oil temp
  • You can remove the seeds of the tamarind before cooking in the sauce, but it may be very sticky

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment