Tuesday 27 May 2014

Jerk sausage pinwheels


Breakfast is served


Can I tell you how I made my own smoked jerk sausage? It was by far the most tedious thing I’ve ever done.  I chopped the meat; ground it seasoned, stuffed it into casings then slowly hot smoked them on the grill for three hours. They didn’t come out to bad for a first timer. Now I’m using the sausages I make to make some yummy jerk sausage pinwheels. You are free to use any store bought sausage you like. I will be sharing my sausage tutorial in the coming weeks as a curious class... but on to the pinwheels.


A common Jamaican breakfast concoction is “Cook-up sausage” otherwise known as; sausage sautéed with onion, tomatoes, peppers, ketchup sugar or honey and spices (cook-up sausage is so much easier to say). Its normally served with bread, bammy, breadfruit  or fried dumplings. This is another great way to serve this common meal. It looks very dressed up and would also make a great appetizer. Puff pastry stuffed with anything is always delicious. And the pre-made puff pastry sheets are my favorite because they are so easy to use.  I love them for deserts and breakfast pastries. I’ve actually made this same recipe with cheese, chives and bacon too. This is truly a 30 minute meal. 15 minute to prep and sauté the sausages and another 15 minutes to bake in the oven.


The puff pastry pack comes with two frozen sheets. For this recipe I only used one and that made 8 pinwheels with lots of sausage left over. So if you used the entire box you could get at least 16. The puff pastry is super flaky and airy when baked, the sausage filling is sweet from the honey and ketchup and Smokey and spicy from the sausage, All around great bite that you should try. 





Ingredients (printable recipe)

 4 Jerk smoked sausage
½ Sweet pepper
2 small Onions
1 Tomato
2 tablespoon Oil
2/3 cup Ketchup
½ cup Honey
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
Frozen Puff pastry sheet


Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Chop the sausages, onions, tomatoes, peppers and onions
  • Sauté the sausages in the oil for about 5 minutes
  • Add the onions tomatoes and peppers and cook until the onions are translucent
  • Add the ketchup and the honey and simmer on low for a minute
  • Set aside to cool
  • Roll out the puff pastry sheet and sprinkle some sausage mixture all over it (see Greedy Tip)
  • Roll the sheet up and cut into 1 ½ inch strips
  • Lay on its side on a baking sheet and bake till golden brown about 15 to 20 minutes

Yup, I made these from scratch....so proud :)




Greedy tips:

This is optional, but if you rather NOT have the chunks of sausage in your pinwheels once the cooked up sausage is done and cooled, you can blend it into a paste and spread it over the puff pastry sheet before rolling it up and slicing it. I don't mind the chunks of sausage, but this is also another way of layering the sausage on the dough.


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment