Breakfast is served
A whole lot of years ago, (my god we're old) when we were still in high school my sister took a French field trip to Saint Martin. I think it was probably the best field trip she has ever been on because she still raves about it to this day.That was the first time I heard about a most delicious sandwich called a Croque-Madame and monsieur. Essentially a French ham, egg and cheese sandwich, and who doesn't love a ham, egg and cheese sandwich?
This baby is all dressed up, and even though it’s traditionally served as a dinner or snack, anything with eggs, cheese and pork belong in the AM segment of my day. A croque- Madame is a Croque-monsiour with an egg on top. I always imagined this originated from the fact that the female specie always carries the egg, hence the female version of the sandwich would have an egg. Wiki-pedia however says the egg on top resembles an old fashions woman’s hat; hence it got its “madame” name (I don’t buy that). In any case, if you don’t eat eggs, you just omit it and enjoy your testosterone sandwich.
The recipe calls for a cheesy béchamel sauce toasted bread, ham and gruyere cheese. I as usual, have made a few substitutions;
- I used smoked Gouda…simply because I love it and I have no clue where to find Gruyere cheese in Mandeville
- I used 6 Mega mart fresh baked dinner rolls as my bread. PERFECTION just in case your wondering
- I don’t eat runny eggs, so my egg was cooked all the way through
- I did my toasting in the oven as opposed to on a grill or stovetop.
Ingredients (printable recipe)
Cheesy thyme béchamel
2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon flour
1 ¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon Thyme
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 Garlic cloves shredded
¼ cup Smoked gouda shredded
4 Ham slices
1 tablespoon Mustard
6 dinner rolls (attached)
1 tablespoon Butter melted
1 tablespoon oil
1 whole Egg
pinch of salt and black pepper
- I like to get an initial toast on my bread before adding the ham and cheese
- If your bechamel sauce is getting too thick add a little more milk to thin it out.
- You will have a fair amount of bechamel sauce left over. freeze it in a zip lock bag for up to 2 months or store it in the refrigerator if you will use it within the week.
- You are more than welcome to fry the egg to your liking
Breakfast month is now over
But in-case you missed it...
Hungry man scramble
Salmon filled corn muffins
Sausage apple hash stuffed waffles
Raisin bran muffin with cinnamon streusel
Callaloo and zucchini frittata
Ackee and saltfish with fried dumplings
Jerk sausage pinwheels