Friday 12 September 2014

Grilled zucchini sandwich



Lunchables



I don’t know if you all have noticed, but I have been trying to include vegetarian dishes into the lunchables month. So each week will feature one meat dish and one vegetarian dish. Today I bring you a sandwich so delicious you won’t miss the meat one bit, a grilled zucchini sandwich.


I fell in love with zucchini a few weeks back when I made a veggie frittata and a vegetarian lasagna. I actually made this sandwich as a packed lunch for my mother (my how the tables have turned) She was going to a funeral and I know that most times she has functions she comes back home starving because there are hardly any food choices for her.

I find zucchini to be one of the most delicious vegetables, very flavorful, especially grilled. And as you may know, smoked gouda tops my list as favorite cheese. Grilling the onions imparts a lovely sweetness, onions generally have a natural sweetness, and caramelized onions would also work well with this sandwich. As for that garlic oil, it hammered the final nail into the coffin, solidifying this sandwich and the simplest and most delicious vegetarian bite. My mother called me on her way home and thanked me saying the sandwich was absolutely delicious. Even if you’re a meat eater, try this one for a change of pace.




1  large zucchini (enough to make 3 sandwiches)
1 large Onion
1/3 cup Oil plus 2 table spoon
3 Garlic cloves
½ teaspoon Salt
Gouda cheese slices
2-3 Coco bread




 



Greedy tips:
  • Make sure to cut the onions into thick slices it’s easier to grill when large
  • Also cut the zucchini into thicker slices because they wilt and soften during cooking
  • Use your favorite bread; for this recipe I use whole wheat coco bread from Mega Mart

Shopping

Get yourself one of these cute little lunch trays/plates I got a small one and I love it, will be using it to display all my lunch ideas for the rest of the month.

Left is a small 7x9 on the right is a large 9x11




 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment