Friday 19 September 2014

Tuna Roll



Lunchables

And then there was tuna; the quintessential lunch time sandwich. I think we can all agree that someone died and left the tuna sandwich in charge and appointed the ham sandwich to be the substitute when tuna is MIA. As a child I sometimes hated getting this sandwich because it was so smelly, you always got the "eww tuna" from other kids.  It was a true love hate relationship because secretly loved the sandwich. This tuna sandwich will make anyone proud to tout this smelly lunch to work or school.


Simplest of ingredients, quick steps and a little time is all you need for this sandwich. I say time because 

1, The tuna needs time in the refrigerator to be infused with  all the seasonings you mixed in
2. The roll also needs time to set in the shape before slicing

I remember when I was younger, a bakery called ‘Simply Delicious’ (now Heavenly delight) made the absolute best tuna sandwiches. They cut their veggies super fine and the flavor of the tuna was so good and slightly spicy. Ever since having their sandwich I have always tried to make mine the same way. I shred my onions and chop my sweet peppers as fine as possible.  I wish this was the tuna sandwich I got as a kid. Our childhood tuna sandwich had way too many chunky onions, tomatoes and peppers in them (sorry mom)



This is the new and improved Tuna sandwich.  It is quite delicious especially with a bag of potato chips on the side. Try this one out.




2 6oz cans Chunk tuna in water
1/3 cup chopped sweet peppers
½ small onion (shredded)
1/3 cup mayo
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon paprika
Large round loaf bread



Greedy tips:
  • Make sure to strain the tuna of all the excess water
  • Leave the prepared tuna in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before assembling the sandwich. Overnight is best.
  • No need to add salt, mayo already has salt and so does the canned tuna
  • In my recent days of tuna making I have been using smoked tuna instead of regular tuna in addition i recommend using smoked paprika and adding about a teaspoon of honey for a bit of sweetness 
  • If you like pepper jelly add about a tablespoon of it instead of the honey 
Shopping

Get yourself one of these cute little lunch trays/plates I got a small one and I love it, will be using it to display all my lunch ideas for the rest of the month.

Left is a small 7x9 on the right is a large 9x11




 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment