Tuesday 2 December 2014

Greedy Girl Eats: Murrays Fish and Jerk hut


BEST SEASONED FISH

"Greedy Girl Eats"


Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls, it’s another December and time for the second installment of greedy girl eats. December as you may or may not know is the month I dedicate to restaurant reviews. I travel Jamaica and visit different establishment who serve my special chosen dish. This month I will be on a quest to find the best escovitch fish in Jamaica. Then I will culminate the month with a video post of me attempting to make my escovitch fish as good as the restaurants I frequent.


Escovitch fish is really just a well-seasoned fish fried crispy and topped with a spicy pickle sauce. The sauce is full of vinegar, onions, pimento, hot peppers and carrots. This sauce can be made and left to soak for months, even years and still be delicious. The longer it soaks the better the flavor.
The first restaurant I will review is Murrays Fish and Jerk hut. 

Name: Murrays fish and Jerk hut
Location: Clarendon, A2 main road, Clarendon park



 For years I have driven past this place and only knew of it as a jerk chicken hut. It was not until about two years ago that I actually went inside and saw that the menu was full of fish options. Fried fish, brown stew fish and steamed fish. They serve their dishes with rice and peas, festival, or bammie. You can also have wheat or white hard dough bread from the jerk hut if you desire.

Seasoning: 10 Their fish is very well seasoned without fail!
Consistency: 8 The fish taste the same almost all the time
Pickle: 9 Pickle is very close to perfection however sometimes it can be too spicy
Crispiness: 10 Fish is always crispy never soggy
Fish freshness: 10 Fish is always fresh, and tender never old and tough
Hiccups: -3 Murrays uses farm raised Tilapia, while delicious you end up with much smaller fish with not as much flesh as a sea caught snapper or parrot fish. You may need two of their fish to really fill you. 

 Total score 44/50 or 88%



Greedy tips: 

  • The jerk hut sells jerk chicken, jerk rabbit and exceptionally delicious jerk sausages, (in my opinion the best jerk sausages around) So if your with a group and some persons don't want fish there are other options.

You can see the crispness of the fish shining through the pics. And the pickle is really yummy, when its not too spicy it is perfection. But I have had it quite a few times where I felt my mouth was on fire. In any case, its a great place to stop and have a fish if your hungry and passing by.


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment