Friday 5 December 2014

Greedy Girl Eats: Oswald Seafood Restaurant


"Greedy Girl Eats"


Everyone who knows me know that I adore fish. And not just any fish, I adore escovitched fish, it is truly one of my favorites I can never tire of it. For a very long time my boyfriend has been telling me he has a new seafood spot for me to try. One day we were in St Elizabeth and he said there is a place called Oswalds he is going to take me. We went there on the eve of my 30th birthday for dinner and it was great. Since that first night we have been back countless times, as a matter of fact Oswald's number is in my phone.

Escovitch fish is really just a well-seasoned fish fried crispy and topped with a spicy pickle sauce. The sauce is full of vinegar, onions, pimento, hot peppers and carrots. This sauce can be made and left to soak for months, even years and still be delicious. The longer it soaks the better the flavor.
The second restaurant I will review is Oswald Seafood Restaurant. 

Name: Oswald Seafood Restaurant
Location: Alligator Pond, St Elizabeth 



Oswald is right on the sea, quite literally. If a wave hits hard and high and its windy you can get wet while dining at your table. The dining area is sprawled along the seas edge under little wooden huts. Almost like a makeshift cafeteria with tiled wooden tables and benches. The location however is very very easy to miss. The restaurant is in the center of a fish market. You have to walk through the sellers to get to Oswald's. If you go on the right day not only can you buy cooked fish, you can buy some raw eel and lion fish on your way out.

 I was so happy to add this spot to my list of seafood eateries. That night we had a feast of escovitch and jerk fish with lots of bammy and festival. As a matter of fact that night they didn't have any festival. And they sent someone to the store to buy the ingredients and made a batch especially for us. That's what you call service!

Seasoning: 8 Very good seasoning!
Consistency: 10 Perfection, the same quality every single time. 
Pickle: 9 Pickle is almost perfect 
Crispiness: 8.5 The fish has a decent crunch to it
Fish freshness: 10 Fish is always fresh, and tender never old and tough
Hiccups: 0 You get what you want how you want it

 Total score 45.5/50 or 91%





Greedy tips: 

  • If you are afraid of lizards do not go to this place at night. Lizards flock their wooden roof structures at nights when the lights are on. But during the day the place is reptile free. 
  • The fish market does not operate every day. In all the times i have been to this restaurant (over 6 times) the market has only been in progress once. 
  • Check out their Facebook page here

Now you have seen the review of their escovitch fish. I must tell you their Jerk fish is even better. Its the most delicious thing in life. As a matter of fact, every fish they do is awesome. For me the curry, jerk and escovitch fishes are the top choice. An their festival is PERFECTION. I'm not a fan of Oswald's bammy as its a little too thin for my taste, but the Festival is a sure winner


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment