Friday 6 February 2015

Callaloo & cheese patty


 Juici...and if you don't know, now you know!
 

Patty number two and it’s all about the veggies. Since I already had the callaloo for the crust, why not use it as a filling as well? This patty combines veggies with some delicious cheese for a very vegetarian friendly lunch and snack.


The patty joints here in Jamaica actually don’t make a callaloo patty. They make a callaloo loaf, which is callaloo in a cocoa bread. They make a vegetable patty but its full of cabbage corn and carrots. Go figure! I always said that if I had a restaurant that made patties, my vegetable patty would use callaloo. I always thought the callaloo in cocoa bread was such a waste, and the callaloo would be great in the patty crust. So I made my dream a reality with this post, and took it a step further by adding cheese. 

For this patty you can use any cheese you want, I recommend a white cheddar or mozzarella, nothing too rich that would over power the subtle flavor of the callaloo. You also don’t want an overly salty cheese either, play around with the fillings.

I made the ackee and saltfish patty the same day I made this callaloo patty and the receptions were mixed. The callaloo lovers said this one was the best, and the ackee lovers said the ackee was better. So from the reviews I can say if you love callaloo you will find this patty to be divine.








Saute callaloo:
1 large bunch of fresh callaloo chopped (about 8 cups)
1 large tomato
1 medium onion
2 tablespoon  oil
½ teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper

Seasoning mix:
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
6 table spoons water
1 teaspoon brown sugar

½ cup cheddar cheese

Callaloo Crust: click here




Greedy tips:

  • I made a seasoning mix just for ease of filming, you dont have to mix it all together you can add each ingredient seperatly. or you can do what I did and mix them all in the water.
  • Make sure the callaloo is completely cold before adding it as the filling. You don’t want the warmth to melt the fat in the crust.
  • You can sauté the callaloo from the night before.

Xoxo Greedygirl 


Xoxo Greedy

No comments:

Post a Comment