Friday 25 September 2015

Curry shrimp with stelline pasta


I love Pasta


Curry, coconut milk, spicy grilled shrimp with a hint of ginger.  You can’t go wrong with this dish that can take on two personalities. If you love cold pasta salads this dish can transform into a cold salad. And if you want a warm hearty pasta dish it can be that as well. This is your Friday two for one special.
 
Who knew there was  pasta called stelline? This was one of the recipes where I let the grocery store and the limitations of my refrigerator and pantry determine the dish I would prepare. I had some napa cabbage that would go bad if I didn’t use it. And generally we always have most of the ingredients on hand. But I wasn’t sure of what pasta to use.  I have really been trying to do all sorts of different varieties, and was contemplating cannelloni, then my eyes spotted a bag of little stelline.

At first I was wondering if it was orzo but under close inspection saw that is was in fact these tiny little stars. I decided to buy two packs to try them out. They remind me so much of Israeli couscous (Ptitim / Ben-Gurion's rice) in taste and texture and to be honest with the curry all over them, at a glance it pretty much looks exactly the same too. It’s a really easy dish that everyone can make and enjoy. The first and definitely not the last time I will make stelline.



Ingredients (printable recipe)
To season shrimp
1 lb shrimp peeled deveined tail on
3 teaspoon oil
1 tablespoon habanero salt (or any spicy salt)
For the dish
3 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon curry powder
½ cup chopped shallots
3 garlic cloves shredded
½ cup coconut milk powder
1 cup water
2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon spicy salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon shredded ginger
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 cups sliced Napa cabbage
1 box stelline pasta cooked al dente

The can be a warm pasta dish or a cold pasta salad. Video instructions are for the warm pasta dish

Instructions
For the cold salad
  • Set the sliced napa cabbage and parsley
  • Follow the video recipe and combine the curry sauce, shrimp and cooked stelline pasta and set aside to cool before placing in the refrigerator to completely get cold (best overnight)
  • Once the curry shrimp and pasta are cold, stir in the napa cabbage and chopped parsley. This way the cabbage will be crunchy in the salad and not steamed and wilted like in the pasta dish

Greedy tips:
  • If you don’t have coconut milk powder but the actual milk, just use 1 cup of coconut milk and eliminate the water. I used the powder/water combo because I did not have the canned milk.
  • If you don’t have a spicy salt use 2 ½  teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, or you can eliminate the spiciness all together if you like 

Xoxo Greedygirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment