Tuesday 3 November 2015

Thyme Smoked Ribs with a Pinot Grigio glaze

  
"Christmas is coming"


It’s November! Time to get our Christmas on, I know I totally skipped Thanksgiving, but I’m Jamaican, we don’t celebrate thanksgiving. And not only that these recipe can totally double to make a killer thanksgiving spread. So Greedy Guys and Gals, It’s about time I did some ribs. And not half assed ribs, straight grill smoked, tender, fall off the bone ribs. I decided to give the hickory and apple wood chips a break, and smoke these ribs with herbaceous thyme. Not only that but it has a lovely white wine and thyme glaze. A must have on your Christmas dinner table this year.

Normally I use the oven to cook my ribs, but like my barb-jerk chicken. I normally start them on the grill and finish them in the oven. But this time I decided that I wanted to smoke the ribs completely on the grill. This is the first time I have ever cooked ribs 100% on the grill. I had muster every ounce of restraint in order to break from my normal pattern of using 1000 coals and making a huge blazing fire. I want to tell you that I had the oven on the entire time, as a precaution in case the ribs did not cook. I literally sat in the kitchen banquet right by the window and played words with friends while periodically gazing outside to make sure the smoke kept a steady stream out top of the grill. I don’t know why I didn’t trust that it would cook, But it did. 


The glaze makes the ribs, they do taste like thyme but not overly, but the sauce has a tart sweetness that works really well with the ribs. This with some mashed sweet potato would be heaven on  a plate especially with a side of my grandmas best ever in the world macaroni salad….you see what I’m doing there?....writing your menu :) 



 Ingredients ( printable recipe)

2- 3 racks of Copperwood pork ribs
1 large bushel of fresh thyme
30-35 coal briquettes
Dry rub
1 ½ tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon Thyme leaves
2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1 ½ tablespoon ground Allspice
Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 large shallot minced
4 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 ½ cups Pinot Grigio

Instructions

For the ribs

  • Season the ribs with the dry rub and leave it overnight to marinate
  • The next day prep the coals and put the bunch of thyme to soak in some water
  • Arrange the hot colas in a circle and place the thyme in the center
  • Place the meat on the grill top with mroe fresh thyme and cover with the vents half open
  • Cook for 1 hour
  • Turn the meat unto the other side and cook for 1 more hour
  • Check for tenderness and if needed smoke for another 15 to 20 minutes
  • Remove the ribs form the grill and allow them to rest

For the sauce

  • Melt the butter in a sauce pan and sauté the chopped shallots
  • Add the sugar and salt and thyme and sauté
  • Add the Pinot Grigio and allow the sauce to reduce
  • Slice the ribs, sauce them and serve




Greedy Tips:

  • If you are using a gas grill the temp should be around 200 degree F. Do not use more than 30 to 35 coals that’s enough to give you a good heat without being too hot. If you use too many coals the flames will be do hot and your ribs will burn before it’s cooked. At no point do you want actual flames the coals should be white and ashed over but still hot. The aim is low temp with slow cooking to make the ribs tender.
  • Make sure to use fresh thyme soaked in water so it burns slower and longer. The bunch of thyme I used still had green leave in the center at the end of the 2 hours.
  • You can use any white wine you want, I used a very dry Pinot Because that the only white wine we had.

 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment