Tuesday 29 December 2015

Greedy Girl Eats Homemade curry goat

 

"Greedy Girl Eats"

Finally I make my own curry goat! This past  month on Greedy girl eats was all about curried goat. In Jamaica our motto is out of many one people and for good reason. After slavery ended droves of Indians came to the country as indentured laborers. Thy did not leave behind their food. The curry as we know it today is a fusion of traditional Indian curry with Jamaican flavors. I visited 7 restaurants across the island and sampled their curry goat. Now the month ends with a home made version honing in the best of all I tasted.

"When goat meat done, a wa curry a go do?" -Miss Lou

We curry any and everything, oxtail, chicken, fish, even curried vegetables and chick peas. Goat however is the most traditional thing to curry. Mutton has a distinct flavor and when curried with the added spices it can be the most delicious thing paired with some soft and fluffy white rice or better yet some well made roti.
I tried my very best to get a delicious pot of bubbling goodness, it was quite good, not as good as some of the spots I visited but real close.

 

This curry goat was not bad at all, I cant even lie. I took my time and seasoned it lovingly made sure to cook it on the stove top to ensure the best flavor. You can certainly use a pressure cooked to help tenderize the meat but I would suggest pressuring it for short times as opposed to long intervals to the meat still has its 'integrity' and does not become a pile of trashy mushy gravy and bones. I love the ram goat flavor, however the goat we had was not a ram goat, hence the need for trickery and wizardry by adding a ram goat soup mix to the pot. I totally fooled my mother, who when we received the goat was disappointing that it wasn't a ram goat. (ram goats have an unmistakable distinct smell and taste, very musky) but after tasting the goat she said "I think I was wrong it taste like ram goat after all" I had to let her in on the little secret ingredient. And yes we had roti but not by my hand, I'm way too lazy to make roti. I ordered from Roti Darling who makes amazing roti stuffed and plain. Jamaican Curry goat, ready to try?







2-3 lb goat meat (preferably ram goat)
To season goat
1 large onion
1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
¼ cup chopped scallion
4-6 sprigs of thyme
¼ cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon Black pepper
½ teaspoon Paprika
2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon ground Allspice
2 teaspoon Onion powder
To cook goat
3 tablespoon coconut oil
3 teaspoon curry powder
Boiling water
1 sachet ram-goat soup mix (optional)
1 teaspoon sugar
salt (to  taste if needed see greedy tips)
1 teaspoon all spice
3 tablespoon coconut milk powder
Thyme leaves

 
 
 


Greedy Tips:

  • Ideally you want to season  the goat and let it marinate overnight or at least an hour before cooking
  • The ram goat soup mix is optional. Make sure to strain the noodles and use just the liquid. The ram goat soup mix is also salted, so you may or may not need to add more salt. Between seasoning of the goat and the ram goat soup mix I did not have to add any added salt. However if you don't use the soup mix you may need additional salt
  • Goat normally take 1 to 2 hours to cook depending on the specific meat. If you want to shorten the cooking time, cook the goat on the stove for 15 to 20 minutes then place in a pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes to tenderize it. Then  back on the stove to finish stewing down. Ideally cooking 100 percent on the flames and not in the pressure cooker yields more desirable results.
  • In addition to the thyme leave in the final stew you can also add sweet peppers, onions and scotch bonnet pepper. 

Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment