Tuesday 1 March 2016

Garlic parsley shrimp pasta


Something Smells Fishy...


Garlic parsley shrimp pasta
Hello march and welcome seafood month. Today I bring you a lovely and flavorful dish, full of garlic and parsley flavor with yummy plump juicy shrimp. In my book shrimp, pasta and garlic are a match made in culinary heaven and any recipe that utilizes the trio has to be divine.  This dish is super decadent and rich, definitely not fat free.

When KFC starts selling fish you know it’s time to get your life. We are in the season of lent, and Easter. So we should all follow suit and ditch the chicken and steak and get some figure friendly fish in our diets (notice I said should’). In actuality some of us like myself don’t actually give up the other meats during the season. I simply console myself with the fact that I am doing my good deeds by posting pescaterian and vegetarian recipes during the season for all those persons who are immersed in the full experience of lent.

Now that I think of it, I don’t even give up anything for lent. My family does not practice the sacrificial parting of a treasured food or activity during lent. My mother always said Jesus died on the cross to forgive our sins; he gave it all for me so that I don’t have to give up anything. And to that I say ‘here here’!

This recipe transcends the season, whip it out for Christmas, new year’s, birthdays, Sunday dinners or when you alone at home watching TV and want a quick and easy meal for yourself. The sauce is very fatty and rich however it totally works with the parsley.

 I know I will get a few emails or comments asking about substitutions, and I’m just gonna stop you all right now.  This is a no substitutions recipe (not really). Everyone should be greedy and enjoy every single calorie of this dish. I say you ‘can’t’ but you absolutely can…but why would you?

  • No you can’t use fat free half n half or plain yogurt  instead of cream.
  • No you can’t substitute the parsley for rosemary or sage or thyme or use them all.
  • No you can’t eliminate the butter
  • No you can’t use lobster or chicken as a substitution for shrimp.

Enjoy 


Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 bunch fresh Parsley
5 garlic cloves
½ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 small onion chopped (about ¼ cup)
1 tablespoon butter
1 lb shrimp peeled deveined tail on
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 pinches of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box penne Pasta cooked

Instructions


  • In a blender, blend parsley, garlic, oil, salt and pepper,
  • Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and season the shrimp (marinate for 8 to 10 minutes)
  • In a sauce pan spoon in another tablespoon of the mixture with butter and sauté the onions for a few seconds.
  • Add the shrimp to the pan and cook on both sides until just pink about 1 minute per side
  • To the shrimp and onion sauté add the heavy cream, the remaining parsley mixture and sugar.
  • Stir this until the mixture starts to thicken about 1 to 2 minutes, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
  • Turn off the heat under the shrimp, Strain the hot cooked pasta and add directly to the creamy shrimp mixture.
  • Stir to coat every pasta with sauce and serve hot. 





Greedy tips:


  • Make sure to salt the pasta water
  • Try to time the pasta so that the cooking time ends right around the time the shrimp and sauce are ready so you can add the hot pasta directly to the creamy shrimp mixture 
  • Want it more saucy? use more cream, but make sure to season it.

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment