Sunday 24 April 2016

Grilled Eggplant ricotta muffins



M...eat...less


I have been trying to post this recipe since Friday to no avail. Finally the internet seems to be back so I post the recipe in peace.  If I know what’s good for me I should probably type up and upload Tuesdays and Fridays post to the blog as well, so in case the internet decides to hold us hostage yet again, I can use my phone to upload. But I have faith that this fate won’t come to pass; let’s get to the eggplant.  

I purchased some eggplants and have been trying to figure out a way to make them that I’ve never done before.  I was going to make eggplant parm, but figured its so done, not to mention the fact that I’m not  really a huge fan of eggplants, I much prefer the texture and flavor of zucchini, but in an effort to expand my horizons I took a leap.

It was either a muffin, some fort of sandwich or pasta. I went for a muffin figuring it would be the best way to incorporate the grilled eggplant with other flavors. The flavor of the muffin is quite good, (even though some smoked gouda or pepper jack cheese was probably needed) My main issue with the muffin and with eggplant on a whole is the texture. There are these mushy bits of eggplant in the midst of the muffin dough which for me feels weird. If I ever made this again I would probably puree the eggplant after grilling it so its incorporated completely in the batter and not little chunks. Or I would just use zucchini. If you love eggplant you will probably really like this. However if your on the fence like me, sub it for another grilled veggie.  

The batter Makes 12 big muffins or 24 little ones the bigger ones will take a longer time to cook than the little ones for obvious reasons. Generally around 25 minutes at 375 should do the trick, test the muffins with a toothpick or knife at the 20 minute make and judge from there since everyone’s oven is different. 



Ingredients (Printable recipe)

2 ¼  cup flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 eggs
15 oz ricotta cheese
¾ cup buttermilk
2 ½ tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves shredded garlic
1 large onion
2 large eggplants
¼ teaspoon salt (to season eggplant and onion)
2 tablespoon coconut oil (to season eggplant and onion)
¼ cup chopped parsley
Sauce
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon coconut oil

Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Slice the onion and eggplant into large slices, season with salt and oil and grill on both sides until charred
  • When grilled cool slightly before slicing in to bite sized pieces (or puree the eggplant)
  • In a bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, the ricotta, buttermilk, eggs, coconut oil, honey, salt and garlic
  • Chop the parsley into fine bits
  • In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, paprika
  • Make a well in the center of the dried ingredients
  • Add the wet ingredients to the center and fold in, add the eggplant onions and parsley and continue to fold just until it’s all incorporated
  • Place in cupcake liners or greased pan and bake until a tester come out clean
  • While they bake mix the glaze ingredients and set aside.
  • I think these are best served warm with the warm sauce.





Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment