There are two things in this world that completes a meal; potato salad and or Macaroni salad. Today I am stepping into the world of macaroni salad. This cold and delicious dish, pairs so beautifully with hot food, especially fried chicken. But since this is meatless month let’s not focus on the chicken but on the unique addition of kale and zucchini.
This is one of the first months where I can say nothing is going as planned, not a single recipe thus far was on the original list of recipes to make. I have literally been developing the recipes in my mind while grocery shopping or while rummaging through my kitchen and then making some really yummy stuff. This pasta is no exception, yes I’ve made macaroni salad before and I even have my grandmothers perfect macaroni salad recipe already on the blog, however this one is just too good.
I know something is delicious when...
- My father loves it
- My picky cousin Marisol loves it
Marisol does not like, mustard or mushrooms or anything that’s outside of her normal routine of bacon and eggs, ackee and salt fish, box lunch, Chinese food or KFC. Likewise my father will eat salt fish or mackerel and cornmeal dumplings with boiled ground provisions and be quite content for the rest of his life. But this pasta right here got them both lit, that’s when I knew it would be a general crowd-pleaser. There are several pro's to this dish; the only thing that needs cooking is the pasta, best thing about it is you can make it ahead of time, and the flavors get better with age. What more do you need than that?
Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 lb box cooked macaroni pasta (cook in salted water)
2 bunches of kale chopped
1 to 2 zucchini shredded
For the dressing
¼ cup chopped red pepper
¼ cup chopped green pepper
¼ cup chopped yellow pepper
1 small onion shredded
2 ½ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
1 teaspoon celery powder
½ teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Onion powder
- Make sure to cook the pasta to al dente in salted water, strain wash with cold water and set aside
- Chop the kale into bite sized pieces and shred the zucchini
- Chop the peppers into fine bits and shred or blend the onion
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, chopped peppers, shredded onion, coriander seeds, celery powder, salt, honey, black pepper, smoked paprika and onion powder.
- Make sure to mix the dressing well
- Toss the dressing with the pasta, then add the kale and shredded zucchini make sure it is all completely mixed in.
- Place in the refrigerator covered to chill before serving.