Friday 27 May 2016

Pan roasted hen with curry shallot and sage pan sauce



Potluck

Its yummy time,  I am a huge fan of Cornish hen, game hens, quails and small birds in general. I think they are a lovely addition to the dinner rotation. I always try to cook the hens in different ways. This time is about to get curried, but curried with shallots and sage. This was a really good recipe I can’t even lie. It was the last meal I made before heading off to New York for two weeks.


The recipe was so good and we were in such a rush to eat that I even forgot to film me plating and cutting or even tasting it. It wasn’t until a few days later when I was going through the files did I realize that I had totally forgotten to do that. I was sooooooo delicious. I heard that my father (who after years of loving cornish hen a few months ago decided he didn’t like them any more) was even asking if there were left overs the next day. Too bad for him, there are never left overs with these little birds.

If you don’t trust your stovetop you can sear them on high heat and then pop it in a 350 degree oven to cook for the 45 minutes. I contemplated doing that several times, but I was really trying to test and see if it could get away with cooking it low and slow right on the stove top without the chicken stock drying out and burning. It totally worked and I was very excited about the way this dish turned out.

Try subbing the two cornish hens for one whole chicken and change the 45 minute time to 1 hour. I did this and it came out lovely as well.





 

Ingredients (Printable recipe) 


All-purpose seasoning mix
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 tablespoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon Sugar
2 butterflied Cornish hen
2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 cups chicken stock (click here)
2 shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
2 slices scotch bonnet pepper
3 tablespoon heavy cream





Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment