Tuesday 31 May 2016

Banana bread pudding with cinnamon streusel




Potluck

It’s the final recipe for May. No this is not bread pudding made from banana bread (that's coming soon) this is bread pudding with the addition of bananas. Yes, believe it or not, I’m adding another bread pudding recipe to the blog. I think this is like the fourth one. There is the hazelnut bread pudding, the breakfast bread pudding with pears, and the cheesy chocolate brioche bread pudding. Who knew bread pudding was so versatile?


There were two things we had a lot of on the day I made this recipe. And that was stale bread and over ripe bananas. I had two options, make banana bread and make bread pudding, or try something new and combine the two. You guessed it my lazy ass opted for the latter and here we have a banana bread pudding.

 I’m a stickler for texture, I hate runny and gooey bread puddings, and I like when they are soaked but firm.  I knew right off the bat that this dessert would be super soft, with the custard soaked bread and mushy bananas. I was going to add walnuts or peanuts to the top but then decided that a streusel on top might be just as crunchy and add a nice texture. It was actually a pretty cool addition. I’ve never seen anyone ad streusel to the top of a bread pudding before. I usually go for some kind of caramel sauce or rum sauce.

I don’t foresee this being a recipe my family will make often, because we almost never have excess of both times at the same time. It’s always a bread pudding or always a banana bread. This was a really delicious combination of the two that I hope I will have the opportunity to make again.  




Ingredients (printable recipe)
 
For the bread
5 over ripe bananas
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups raisins
3 tablespoon melted butter
Apx 5 cups of stale bread chopped
For the streusel
½  stick cold butter
½  cup flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 375
For the streusel
  • In a blender combine the flour, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
  • Blend until it resembles bread crumbs
For the bread pudding
  • Roughly chop the bread into cubes and place in a bowl
  • In a blender mix the bananas, lemon zest, eggs, milk, heavy cream, vanilla, sugar and salt until smooth
  • Pour into another bowl, add the raisins and bread
  • Allow the bread to absorb all the liquid add the melted butter and stir (you can set this aside for 10 to 15 minutes to make sure all the bread is soaked
  • Pour the mixture into a baking dish
  • Sprinkle the streusel all over the top
  • Bake for 40 minutes a tester should come out clean
  • Allow to cool before serving. 








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment