Sunday 19 June 2016

Sweet potato Onion and chia seed buns


"Potato Patata" 


I am really sorry to disappoint everyone who came here thinking they would find a burger recipe. Nope its potato month remember? So what you will find here, is a really awesome recipe for a sweet potato onion bun with chia seeds.  I finally decided to do a labor intensive potato recipe, and by labor intensive I mean a recipe using yeast and flour, my two culinary enemies.

This is probably the first special ingredient month that I have not tired of already. Maybe because potatoes are so extremely versatile all the recipes have been completely different from one another. This one is no different


If you follow the blog you will know chef john of food wishes is my all-time favorite foodie. He was pretty much one of my inspirations for starting my own blog. So for this recipe I actually took one of his recipes and tweaked it just a wee bit to fit my taste. He made a super easy and delicious looking sesame seed topped sweet potato bun. However he used the American style sweet yams. I use the Jamaican sweet potatoes (Japanese style potatoes) and some finely chopped onions which made the whole thing so incredibly fragrant and to top it all off chia seeds.

I’m the girl that orders an onion bagel every chance I get. I love onion with a passion and I almost always put it in everything I cook. I battled between using caramelized onions or raw onions. I worried that if I cooked the onions before adding them to the dough the flavor would not be as intense as I was hoping for. But at the same time I wondered if 15-20 minutes of cooking in the dough would be enough to get the edge off the onions when the buns were done. I ultimately went for the raw onion, because after all it’s a burger anyway and a little raw onion never hurt anyone. Luckily they buns came out perfect, the sweet potato added coloring nutrients and the onion added the best flavor ever.  




The above video is how chef john makes his buns, I followed his recipe with the additions of onions and chia seeds. I also used a different type of sweet potato.
 
Ingredients  (Recipe adapted  from chef johns sweet potato buns )

1 package (2 ½ tsp) dry active yeast
½  cup warm water
½ cup flour
1 cup mashed sweet potato
½ cup minced onion
2 tsp honey
½   teaspoons salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
3 cups flour
To top 
1 egg 
1 tablespoon water 
Chia seeds to garnish



Greedy Tips: So about the Surf and Turf burger
  • I have several spectacular burgers on this blog search for burgers in the search box on the right.
  • As for the sauce, I used that amazing cilantro sauce from my jack fishtacos recipe
  • As for the shrimp simply seasoned with smoked paprika, onion powder, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt , cayenne pepper, black pepper, a drizzle of a little oil and grilled.

That should be enough to get anyone interested in actually making this surf and turf burger off to a great start..happy cooking!

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment