Tuesday 21 June 2016

Spicy Chicken fried potato wedges


"Potato Patata" 


When I say spicy, I don’t mean peppery I mean full of spices. I basically took every herb I had at the time and threw them at the potatoes. They turned out pretty good, crunchy,  hot and flavorful. Anyone who love potato wedges might want to give this recipe a try.


Last week my fiancé and I took my mom and my cousin to the airport to catch a red eye flight. After leaving the airport in the midnight hours we were a little hungry and decided to try to find a fast food restaurant that would be open at the time, since most of them are not 24 hours.  First place was to the KFC at crossroads, the place was so packed we didn’t even turn in. We were thinking about the Wendy’s at Barbican but I’m almost sure they close at 11 (I could be wrong). And then there is that burger king near Sovereign that’s 24h but it’s so out of our way. We really were not trying to be driving all around the world especially since we just wanted a little snack before heading home. Then I remembered the Texaco on boulevard, The Mr. loves hotdogs and I would just have a few of their potato wedges.

That’s the history behind this recipe.  That Texaco makes some pretty decent done to order wedges. They are not super flavorful in terms of herbs but they are seasoned well (slightly salty) but delicious. I had not had them in months so while eating I noticed that in addition to being scorching hot, I realized they had an insanely crunch exterior and deduced that they were coated and fried like chicken. I thought cool; it didn’t even occur to me that you could coat the potatoes with flour and egg and fry them like chicken. Usually when I make potato wedged I add like a tablespoon or two of the flour to the seasonings, but never a full on flour and egg wash set up.

I had plans to make a burger with sweet potato bun.  So I decided since I will already be slaving in the kitchen and burgers and potatoes go hand in hand, I would just make the potato wedges same time. One thing I can tell you they are super filling. It was a struggle to eat three wedges and a burger. How they were delicious, the herbs in the flour mix worked its magic. The potatoes were cooked and the skin was very crunchy.




Ingredients (Printable recipe)

6-8 large potatoes
Dry ingredients
2 cups flour
½  cup cornstarch or potato starch (optional)
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon onion powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
½ tablespoon habanero chile powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Wet ingredients
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Oil for deep frying

Instructions

  • Heat the oil to around 365/370 degrees
  • Peel and wash the potatoes, slice into wedges and set aside make sure to slice into medium thickness, not too thick or the potatoes wont cook all the way through.
  • In a bag combine all the dry ingredients flour, cornstarch and all the herbs and mix thoroughly
  • In a bowl whisk together the eggs and milk
  • Work in batches by taking some potatoes, dredging in the seasoned flour, coating in the egg mixture then back into the flour, before frying
  • Do not coat all the potatoes with flour all at once because the potatoes will pull the salt from the mix and spring water causing all the coating to clump up and peel off. So work in batches
  • Fry for 5 to 7 minutes the outsides will get golden brown and the potatoes will cook
  • Repeat the process until all the potatoes are fried. 




Xoxo Greedygirl



No comments:

Post a Comment