Friday 22 July 2016

Grilled seafood salad with mango salsa




Mango is in season! 

When cilantro, grilled fish and mango show up to the party you know it’s going to be wild. This is by far one of, if not the best salads I have ever had. Flavors are bursting all over, sweet, salty, spicy, Smokey and everything else in between. A very light and delicious summer salad you will probably want to try.

Today was one of those days where I decided whatever I made for the blog would be my lunch. I started cooking a little late so it really ended up being more of an afternoon lunch.  I wanted something, fresh healthy and delicious and it had to use at least one mango in its whole form without pureeing it and turning it into a sauce. That is how the idea of a mango salsa (which is nothing novel) came to mind. 

This was absolutely delicious, and not because of the dressing, or the salsa, or the fish, because of everything. Each and every single ingredient added something that made the whole salad just shine. It’s been a long while since I actually clean the entire styled plate. I mean the camera was still on my shoulder (probably on), I was standing and I ate the entire thing and whipped the plate clean of all sauce, as you can see in the evidence below. 

The mangoes added the perfect sweetness, the cilantro avocado and roasted pepper dressing it just epic all on its own, not to mention the grilled fish and shrimp, everything was just so good. Layers and layers and layers of flavor, I mean look at the ingredient list? 



Some of you may be familiar with the dressing. It’s the same one I developed when I made the jack-fish tacos a few months ago. I typically use this dressing on burgers or tacos, mostly when my recipe involves seafood. I think it pairs amazingly well with grilled or seared seafood. In this version of the sauce I added avocados (because every time I make it I do something different to it). The avocado added sweetness, creaminess and a really nice velvety smoothness to the sauce. I also added a pinch more salt to the sauce than the original recipe just to balance out the added sweetness. Another change, I used three jalapenos instead of four so the spice would not overpower the sweetness of the mangoes. 

What this all adds to, is a perfect balance of everything your palate desires. And if your palate is partial to bitterness, use some bitter greens like radicchio instead of red cabbage or add some arugula to your mild lettuce mix.  Highly advise you to serve this with garlic naan, rotti, tortillas or any kind of your favorite flat bread. 



 
Garden salad mix; lettuce, red and white cabbage, carrots
3-4 snapper Fish fillets
1 lb Shrimp
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Onion powder
2 tablespoon Oil
For the salsa
1 mango
1 small onion
½ juice of one lime
1 teaspoon fresh chopped cilantro
¼ cup chopped green pepper
¼ cup chopped red pepper
1 garlic clove shredded
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
For the green sauce
1 green pepper roasted
3 jalapeno peppers roasted
½ avocado
2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup cilantro leaves
¼ cup fresh parsley
1 garlic clove
½ lime juice
¼ teaspoon salt plus two pinches more
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Greedy tips: 

  • When grilling the fish take a half cut onion and rub on the grill heat it up to very hot  when it’s on medium heat, rub it with the onions again and when its hot rub the onion on the grill again. That’s what I do before I grill, I make sire to season the grill thoroughly with a freshly cut onion. It not only adds flavor but I make the delicate fish left very easily from the grill.
  • You want to make the salsa and the sauce first and place in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes up to overnight to develop the flavors


Instructions

For the salsa

  • Peel mango and cut the fruit into small cubes
  • Finely chop onion and peppers
  • Finely mince cilantro and grate the garlic
  • In a bowl combine mango, peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro
  • Toss together and squeeze the juice of ½ a lime and season with salt and black pepper
  • Set aside in the refrigerator

For the sauce

  • Roast green peppers and jalapenos on open flame
  • Remove from heat, allow to steam in a closed container
  • Wash, wipe or peel off charred skin
  • In a food processor or blender, combine, sour cream, mayo, garlic clove, salt, black pepper, roasted peppers and jalapenos, lime juice, honey, avocado and cilantro. Blend until smooth
  • Place in the refrigerator until ready for use

For the fish

  •  Shrimp should be peeled deveined tails on or off, and fish fillet clean and dry
  • Season with salt black pepper onion powder and oil
  • Grill on high heat one to two minutes per side until cooked
  • Remove from heat and set aside

For the salad

  • Assemble salad by adding greens to the plate followed by seafood, drizzle with the green sauce and top with mango salsa
  • For an extra burst of freshness squeeze the juice of half a lime all over top
  • Serve with flatbread








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment