Wednesday 27 July 2016

100% Mango Fruit punch (no sugar or water)




Mango is in season!

Hurry and make this before mango season is over. Our farm is on the last leg of mangoes and I barely got three mangoes to use in this recipe. This is a drink made from no added sugar or water, bringing new meaning to the term 100 % fruit juices. This post is basically a list of notes and tips, here is how I made this one.


Like I said, no sugar or water was being added so I had to get creative in the type of fruits I used to achieve the same results as a traditional fruit punch. You need the sweet, sour, water and something special. My sweet were the mangoes, my sour were the pineapples and oranges (even though they add sweetness too). My water was the melon and oranges again and for something special tangerine zest and ginger.

Why tangerine zest? Because I find it’s milder and has a nicer citrus essence for juices than orange zest. Just make sure to peel the tangerine first before zesting it. It’s not as firm as a lime, lemon or orange that can be zested with the fruit intact. And be warned you are not going to get as much zest from the tangerine as you would the orange, however a little does go a long way.

Once you blend and strain the juice you will see it’s really thick and more like a nectar. Don’t worry about that, once that beautiful nectar is mixed with the ice it will be perfect. So please don’t be afraid to use a whole lot of ice, and crushed ice is better than whole chunks.

There are a lot of citrusy flavors going on in this punch so you want to make sure your mango, pineapple, watermelon and oranges are as sweet as possible to balance it all out. Or at least two out of the four are very sweet. For my punch it was very refreshing just slightly sour because my pineapple was not as sweet as I would have liked. But none the less It’s the perfect  summer drink.

If you are making this for a group of adults, a splash of rum, or what I would recommend a splash of mango or coconut rum would be ideal. I would however add a shot of rum to each individual serving rather than adding rum to the entire thing. Since I made this in the morning, rum was not an option for me. But if your motto is its after 5 somewhere, then go for it!


Serves 3-4
Ingredients (printable recipe)

2 Mangoes (1 Julie 1 east Indian)
3 pineapple slices (fresh)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
3 oranges (fresh squeezed juice)
¼ teaspoon tangerine zest
2 cups watermelon

Instructions

  • Peel the mangoes and slice off all the fruit from the seed
  • Peel and slice the pineapple
  • Slice and juice the oranges
  • In a blender combine the mango, pineapple, orange juice, ginger, watermelon and tangerine zest
  • Blend until very smooth (it will be like a pulp or nectar)
  • Strain the mixture thoroughly to remove all the ginger and mango hairs
  • Place ice in a blender and crush (or use crushed ice from the refrigerator)
  • Fill the glass with half way with ice and then with the mango juice
  • Top with more ice and garnish with tangerines and pineapples








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment