Friday 16 September 2016

Blue Cheese BLT




'Sammies' 
 Bacon lettuce and tomato aka BLT is the lunchtime sibling to the breakfast classic bacon egg and cheese aka BEC. It’s such an easy go to sandwich that you can have any time of the days and with all sorts of added goodies. Today I decided a nice cheese would be a great way to take the sandwich up a notch.

With so many choices, I narrowed it down to feta, brie or blue. I opted for blue cheese because its flavor is extremely distinct and quite the acquired taste. I’m not gonna lie to you; It really does not sit well with me to eat moldy cheese. Harmless or not, I secretly cringe every time I use blue cheese in one of my recipes (even though I eat it anyway) generally I try to mask the very pungent nature of the cheese with other things to enhance its flavor and mellow it. The honey, onions and garlic really worked wonders.  I made a lovely sauce that was palatable.



Over all I found the sandwich to be very well balanced and delicious. Sweet caramelized onions, rich blue cheese sauce with a hint of sweetness, fresh lettuce, tomato and crispy bacon. The rosemary buttered coco bread was also lovely as well and added another layer of flavor. My bread may have been a little too crispy. You don’t want the bread to be too crunchy that it competes with the crispiness from the bacon. All in all it was a good meal.





2 rolls
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
Lettuce
Tomato
6 strips crispy bacon
For the blue cheese sauce
1 tablespoon shredded onion
1 shredded garlic
2 tablespoon honey
¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
For the caramelized onions
1 Onion
2 tablespoon oil/butter
1 pinch of salt
½  teaspoon sugar
water for deglazing

For the quick caramelized onions


  • Slice onions
  • Sauté in oil until it begins to brown stir constantly med/high heat
  • Sprinkle with salt and continue to stir
  • Once it starts to stick and brown add a little water to deglaze the pan along with the sugar
  • Repeat the process of deglazing when the pan has dried out and adding water and simmering
  • Do this until the onions have reached your desired color and consistency
  • Takes approximately 15 minutes 
  •  In case you have no idea what I'm talking about click here






No comments:

Post a Comment