Tuesday 13 September 2016

Grilled chicken n cheese


'Sammies' 


The best chicken sandwich I think I have ever had in my life is from a little bakery in soho NY. I can’t remember the name; it’s on Prince Street with a green storefront. They make the most epic cilantro grilled chicken sandwiches in this world. I have recreated it several times at home with smoked mozzarella, it’s just pure bliss. I was going to post that recipe to the blog however the universe was just against me.


Firstly we decided since cilantro availability in the grocery store is a hit or miss we would plant our own. We planted a whole bunch of cilantro and parsley they sprouted lovely, then we transplanted them to huge pots. Now the parsley is currently thriving, I can venture to say we will never be out of parsley ever in this life. On the other hand, the cilantro, in this tropical climate did not last at all. Apparently when the soil temperature gets too warm, cilantro begins to seed and turns to coriander. So we got maybe one or two bunches of the cilantro plant before it turned to coriander. I guess Jamaica is just too warm. We should have probably made it an inside plant, but we didn’t know. And the supermarket for the last few weeks has had none. Not to mention, I used all the frozen cilantro I had in the freezer on the cilantro roasted chicken a few weeks ago. So there is my excuse. No cilantro grilled chicken sandwich. Off to plan B.

I wanted a sandwich that was flavorful, crispy, juicy but still quick and easy. I was going to get fancy with a Panini press and all that jazz. But then I though not many people have a million gadgets lying around their kitchens. So kick it old school and do the double pan method. Most times when it boils down to the basics we really don’t need half the things we spend our money on.  So I kept it all the way basic, chicken, cheese, bread, butter and parsley.  It doesn’t seem like much but the sandwich is truly delicious.



I always find it interesting that it’s called a grilled cheese when it’s actually not grilled. It really should be called a pan roasted cheese sandwich. My father calls any bread toasted in a pan it roast bread. But technically he is right, a toaster give us toast bread, a grill gives us grilled bread, so I guess pan roasted cheese sandwich is not that much of a stretch…but who cares right? Regardless of what it’s called, gooey warm cheese between two buttery slices of crispy bread is good no matter what the name. Likewise the addition of perfectly seasoned and juicy grilled chicken lost betwixt the cheese is even more appealing. 

Just as a side note, I used some super soft whole wheat coco bread for this recipe. Mega Marts whole wheat coco bread is so amazing. Their white..not so much. The wheat is way softer and works much better for this recipe than the white. 



Ingredients (printable recipe)
Makes 2 sandwiches feeds 2-3 persons

To season chicken breast
2 chicken breasts
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
¼ teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Onion powder
2 teaspoon Coconut oil
For sandwich
2 whole wheat coco breads
1 tablespoon Butter (per sandwich)
1/2  tablespoon coconut oil (per sandwich)
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley
½ cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
4 slices pepper jack cheese
½ cup sharp white cheddar

Instructions

  • Pound out the chicken breast as thin as possible
  • Season with salt, black pepper, allspice, smoked paprika, onion powder, coconut oil
  • Place on a grill and cook for 3 minutes per side
  • Warm butter and oil over medium low heat
  • Place the bread, half the cheese, chicken, some chopped parsley and the other half  bread
  • Place another skillet over the sandwich to press it down
  • Cook until the side is golden and crispy , flip and repeat for the other side
  • Remove from the heat and repeat for the other sandwich
  • Slice and serve










Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment