Friday 30 September 2016

Fried Avocado Sandwich



"Sammies"  

Have you ever fried avocado? Its not at all bad. I was totally expecting to hate it, but the sandwich was absolutely delicious. The salsa, crunchy avocado, and that mayo atop the toasted hot dog rolls, is amazingly delicious. This is a must try.

My father is always amazed when I make some of these recipes. He came over to me while frying the avocado and said, why are you always making some bull S.H.I.T. to which he and  I died laughing. I explained to him Jamaicans need to step outside of our culinary comfort zone and try new things. He tried it, didn't hate it. But he said its definitely not something he would want to eat again. 


Its a yummy sandwich for non-meat eaters however there are some issues. Well…not issues, just things you need to bear in mind while making it. The first thing is, make sure the avocado is firm. You absolutely  cannot use super ripe avocado. You want it ripe but firm. Once its breaded and fried the breading is crispy but the center gets very soft. Secondly make sure the flour and egg wash are seasoned. Better yet, season the avocado. It can be extremely bland. I didn't want to over salt mine and in the video I did no salt the avocado, but Its a good idea to season the avocado before breading and frying it.


All in all its a great sandwich, even though my father is a hater, I would still make this again for someone who wanted a nice sandwich minus the meat.






Ingredients (printable ingredient list)

2-4 Hot dog rolls toasted
2 Avocado
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt (1/2 for milk and egg 1/2 for flour)
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Red onion Salsa
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper chopped
2 tablespoon chopped sweet pepper
1/2 a lime Juice
Honey Mayo

1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 garlic clove shredded 










Xoxo greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment