Monday 3 October 2016

Pumpkin sesame seed hamburger bun




Pumpkin Everythang!
 
It’s another October and time again for pumpkins.  This month get more challenging as the years go by. So I have to get very creative with what I come up with. A few months ago I made a delicious sweet potato onion hamburger bun. I decided to try my luck with the same recipe with a few more modifications and some fresh pumpkin.

This recipe is coming a little early because hurricane Mathew should be here by tomorrow Tuesday. I am not sure if we will have electricity or internet, so I figure I’ll do my blog post in the calm before the storm. Because of this storm I actually made my recipes super early in order to make sure I got good lighting for the videos and photos, can’t take any chances.



As per usual, pumpkin in a bread or pastry ends up adding more color and sweetness than anything else. I actually wanted to top the bun with some roasted pumpkin seeds, but the grocery store had no pumpkin seeds so I settled for sesame.  The buns are so beautiful, the color is extremely vibrant and rich, it has a lovely sweetness form the honey and naturally from the pumpkin, then the onion and garlic flavor finish it off nicely.

The same day I made these buns, we made jerk pork sandwiches with them and had them as rolls with some red peas soup. Everyone has been eating them as a side with everything. They are very delicious. When you try it and realize how easy it is to make burger buns at home and how veggies can be snuck right in. You might not go back to regular flour buns. 




Ingredients  printable recipe
(Recipe adapted  from chef johns sweet potato buns )

1 package (2 ½ tsp) dry active yeast
½  cup warm water
½ cup flour
1 ½ cup cooked pumpkin
½ cup minced onion
3 tsp honey
½   teaspoons salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
3 to 4 ½ cups flour
To top 
1 egg 
1 tablespoon water 
2 garlic cloves shredded
Sesame seeds to garnish

Instructions : video

Greedy tips:
  • I do not boil the pumpkin as you would a potato; they would get way too soggy. Pressure cooking to me is the best option. Pressure cook them for 5-8 minutes with ½ cup of water.
  • Other options would be to microwave, or bake them. I added flour until I got the right supple dough consistency. The water content in the pumpkin may vary for persons so it’s best to add enough flour until you get nice soft slightly sticky dough. I used about 4 ½ cups of flour for my pumpkin buns. My cooked pumpkin was very wet.
  • If you like when your rolls touch allow them to rise until they press against each other. If you rather they not touch make sure to use two trays and space them out accordingly. 








 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment