Wednesday 25 January 2017

Nutmeg & Mace spiced Salted dark hot cocoa


"Feast of Saint Valentine"

This one was a little bit off the beaten path for me. For starters, I do a form of hot chocolate almost every chocolate month, but this time I wanted it to be different. I was inspired by a salted caramel dark chocolate bark that I saw somewhere online and thought; what’s more different than a salty hot chocolate?

Don’t get me wrong, its sweet, but the salty after taste is kinda cool after each warm sip. Not to mention the spice infused in it from the mace and fresh grated nutmeg. Can we talk about the mace? Just so you know I have no idea where to find this in a store. My grandmother grows her own nutmeg so we are always provided with bags of home grown nutmeg and mace. For a number of year’s she has been trying to convince us to use the mace and we generally refuse. The last time we visited however I decided to take a bag and find some use for it. The mace generally has the same nutmeg flavor in my opinion.

I’ve been obsessed with nutmeg hot chocolates ever since I had the lasco version. And I always try to make my hot chocolates and coffees very desert like. So it might be a bit sweet for some persons, but the sugar and salt levels are certainly customizable. The only thing missing was probably some whipped cream on top.

PS If my pics look a little different its because I’m in a new house and a new kitchen. This kitchen does not allow for photography in it because of the way its set up. So I am currently building my little in-home photo studio, hence the ‘new’ pics.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

3 cups whole milk (for richness)
2 ½ tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon grated nutmeg
1-2 tablespoon mace

Instructions

I made this over a low to very low flames, if the pot is too hot the milk will boil over, don’t leave the milk unattended, because it will boil over.

  • Bring the pot of milk to a simmer, you want the milk hot but not boiling
  • Add the mace honey and brown sugar, let this steep for a few minutes
  • Add the salt and cocoa and mix
  • Add the grated nutmeg and mix
  • Once this is all incorporated turn off the heat cover and allow the flavors to infuse for at least 10 minutes
  • After the time has elapsed you can reheat if you like (however mine was still very hot)
  • Strain the mace and serve





XOXO Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment