Tuesday 31 January 2017

Chocolate chip Banana bread




"Feast of Saint Valentine"

Time to redeem myself from the fail that was the de-panning of the mango crunch cake I did last year. Against my better judgment, I tried to remove a hot cake from this very special Bundt pan and the cake broke in half. So here I am today with the same bundt pan and a whole lot more patience. Today I give you my exceptionally yummy banana bread recipe with some added chocolate chips.


All this time I thought I had my banana bread recipe posted. I realize what I did was post it as a Instagram recipe not as a blog post. I’ve had four black bananas in my refrigerator for about 2 weeks. So I was actually happy when I realized the recipe wasn’t on the blog, gave me a reason to bake bread in the middle of the night…aka 8pm.

The joke is, ever since the cake broke in half I have been a little afraid of the pan and have been finding ways to avoid it. So now that I’m in a new kitchen with not even 1/3 of the gadgets I had at my parents’ house I open the drawer and realize I have zero baking pans. All I had was the bundt pan and two tart pans and a mini muffin tin. I don’t even have a stand mixer, I had to use a hand held electric whisk to make the entire cake. It’s funny how we take things for granted. In any case the cake turned out great. My husband enjoyed a bowl of warm chocolate chip banana bread a la mode. He raved at its deliciousness with every bite. You will too.



p.s this will make some bombtastic French toast….

Ingredients (printable recipe)

4-5 blackened very over ripe bananas
¾ cup coconut oil
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Greedy Tips:

  • If the bananas are yellow any at all don’t use them, they need to be black. Let the bananas sit on the counter for about a week or two until they start to get really speckled. Usually the Jamaican bananas are getting dark after a week at room temp. At that point you put them on a plate and place them in the refrigerator for another 2 to three week that way they don’t rot. They continue to over ripe and blacken in the refrigerator. You can certainly use yellow bananas to make this, or skip the refrigeration stage but you won’t get that intense banana flavor.


Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Wash and peel the blackened bananas
  • Place in a bowl and mash into a fine paste
  • In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon
  • In a mixer cream together the sugar coconut oil and salt
  • After 5 minutes add the eggs and vanilla
  • Once the egg is incorporated add the bananas
  • Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and mix until it comes together then add the remaining milk and flour and continue to mix until everything is combined and there are no flour streaks
  • Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula or spoon
  • Pour mixture into a prepared baking dish and bake for an hour or until the tester comes out clean
  • remove from the oven allow it to cool slightly before removing it form the pan
  • serve warm or at room temp








Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment