Tuesday 9 May 2017

Tex-Mex chicken mac n cheese


Rotisserie revamp!

Store bought rotisserie revamp 3: Mac n cheese

A merger of American and Mexican flavors. This is one of the most flavorful baked macaroni and cheese dishes I probably have ever made. It’s salsa, mac n cheese, queso, chicken and everything in-between all baked into one delicious bite. Cilantro and cheese are a match made in heaven. And this baked macaroni and cheese is heavenly.

I said it a few posts before that I really like Mexican flavors, second only to Asian. I had originally intended only to make one Mexican inspired dish this month which were the fajitas. Remember when I said my husband couldn’t find cilantro in the store? Well I stopped by my mothers house only to find she had a whole bunch, jackpot! So, I had to find a way to use this cilantro in another dish.
I used a lovely piece of chicken breast for this recipe. It was in the refrigerator for about two days so you know all hopes of juiciness were all out the window. I know you have experienced super dry rotisserie chicken breast that was destined for the trash.  My grandmother always says waste not want not. And this recipe is perfect to prevent any waste of dry chicken breast.

I am 4 recipes in and 5 to go and my husband is already hinting that he is sick and tired of rotisserie chicken. Needless to say I will have to get creative in the coming recipes to masque its flavor.
This macaroni and cheese completely masques the flavor of the rotisserie chicken. No one would have any inclination as to where the chicken was procured. Not only that but I used a box of kraft macaroni and cheese, cheese sachet and all. There is no shame in using this in your macaroni and cheese, you just must know how to spice it up with some butter, cream and real cheese. I would imagine that even the pickiest of eaters will appreciate this dish. It’s here to stay.




Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 box macaroni and cheese with cheese sachet
1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
¼ cup chopped Onion
¼ cup chopped Tomato
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
¼ cup shredded pepper jack cheese (plus more for the top)
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoon butter
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup milk
½ teaspoon Cumin
¼ teaspoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 pinch Black pepper
2 pinch Salt
½ teaspoon Sugar

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 400
  • Cook the macaroni to the box specifications
  • In another pot melt butter and add milk, cream and the cheese mix from the macaroni
  • Once its dissolved and comes to a boil add cumin, chili powder, onion powder, black pepper salt sugar and paprika
  • Once the mixture begins to thicken add the chicken and the shredded cheese
  • Turn off the heat and add the onions, tomatoes and cilantro
  • Pour this cheese mixture unto the cooked macaroni pasta and pour into a baking dish
  • Add shredded pepper jack cheese to the top
  • Bake in the oven until golden brown




Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment