Monday 12 February 2018

Blueberry Lemonade Mimosa


Brunch knows best

Probably the simplest cocktail ever, and here I am about to over complicate everything in the name of flavor. A mimosa is nothing more than a one to one ratio of orange juice and champagne. To be honest, it can be any citrus juice mixed with the champagne. Another wonderful way to sneak in wine masqued under the guise of vitamin C.


Disclaimer:
Please be advised that I am Jamaican and for the most part we predominantly use limes not lemons. Interestingly enough we don’t call the sugar, water, lime mix limeade we call it lemonade (go figure). So, for the duration of this post I will be typing lemonade because that’s what comes naturally, but it’s really lime.

So back to the post-
In my mind lemonade is technically a citrus drink. And I love a sweet cocktail. In my opinion if a cocktail is not sweet then I might as well be drinking a scotch on the rocks. So I decided to venture into the world of lemonade concentrate. Lemonade is nothing more than lime juice, sugar and water. Coincidentally simple syrup is nothing more than sugar and water. ‘Tada’ Lemonade simple syrup aka concentrated lemonade. Once I had that figured out, I wanted another addition of flavor and color and blueberries were the obvious choice, why? Because that was the only frozen berry in stock at the grocery store when I went on the hunt for frozen berries.

While grocery shopping I made sure to pick up a nice dry-ish champagne because I knew the simple syrup would be adding a lot of sweetness. Speaking of grocery stores. It’s funny how we take things for granted in our daily lives. A few  years ago I was in whole foods in NY shopping for a few things to make dinner. I needed some white wine and I must have searched every single isle and in frustration I went to customer service and asked where do they have the wine? To which she answered we  don’t sell wine; I was like what do you mean? Apparently, no grocery store in New York sells wine, you must go to a liquor store??? I was flabbergasted. I have never been to a grocery store in Jamaica that did not sell everything, vodka, wine, rum you name it. Makes you appreciate the trivial things.

For the mimosa I went with a 1 to 2 ratio. So basically 1/3 of the glass with simple syrup and the other 2/3 with champagne. Don’t expect that rich color you see in my pics the pics are a 1 to 1 ratio and the mimosa was waaaaayyyyy too sweet. I tasted it after I shot those pics then made a few 1 to 2 ratio ones that were delicious.

Freeze the left-over syrup or store it in the refrigerator for use later. I wouldn’t recommend making this in a large jug, its best done by the glass.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
Zest from 2 limes
Juice from 2 limes
¼ cup frozen/fresh blueberries
Chilled Champagne

Instructions

  • Place the sugar and water in a saucepan to warm
  • Allow the sugar to completely dissolve
  • Just as it is about to boil add the lime zest, lime juice and blueberries
  • Once it starts to boil remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature
  • Chill mixture for an hour up to over night to allow the flavors to develop

To serve
  • For individual servings
  • Fill the champagne glass 1/3 of the way with the blueberry lime syrup and the other 2/3 with champagne





Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment