Wednesday 13 June 2018

Bacon wrapped grilled corn with spicy mayo and cilantro



"We be Grillin"

Summer time is fast approaching, and it is the season to grill. The next recipe up for everyone, is one of the most delicious corns ever. I finally got my hands on some fresh corn, husks and all. Took all my inspiration from the Mexican grilled corn ‘elote’ with a little added Jamaican flair.


Grilled corn is one of those things that I love, but I hardly ever get to make. I prefer to buy my corn in the husk. I didn’t find any in the local market so I had to go all the way to Kingston to The pork store and got 12 sweet Homegrown corn in the husk.  I just can understand why the grocery stores in Jamaica don’t sell corns in the husk like they do in NY. Every summer in Stop and Shop there are all these women gathered around the corn bin shucking it right there in the store.

The day I cooked these corns for dinner, not everyone was interested in them being wrapped with bacon. So I only wrapped about three and I did one strip of bacon closer to the handle as a compromise. So there was just a hint of bacon. If you want this thing head to toe in bacon be my guest and do just that. Wrap the entire thing in bacon and cook it seam side down. I really wanted to do that, but the first rule of being a cook, is cooking what people want to eat, not what you want to feed them. No point in cooking and no one wants to eat it.  Bacon or no bacon, the corn is a winner.

I will definitely make this again for myself and my husband. And I will be completely wrapping the entire thing in bacon.



Ingredients (printable recipe)
12 ears of Corn
12 strips jerk Bacon (or smoked bacon)
½ cup chopped Cilantro
Spicy Mayo
½ cup Mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Allspice
½ Garlic clove shredded
1 tablespoon Honey
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
Pinch of salt if needed

Instructions
  • In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the spicy mayo, cover and set aside in the refrigerator
  • Chop up very finely all the cilantro and set aside
  • Set up the grill so there is direct and indirect heat.
  • If you are using corn with a husk, peel it back and remove the leaves and silks
  • You can braid the leaves to create a handle, or remove them completely
  • Place the corn over direct heat and cook for 5-8 minutes turning every minute so that the corn gets golden and charred
  • Once charred on all sides wrap with bacon, either along the whole thing or just half
  • Place over direct heat seam side down to get a seal on the bacon, once the bacon starts to get golden turn and repeat until all sides are golden and crispy
  • Any corn that is finished you can place on the indirect heat side until they are all finished.
  • To serve brush the corn liberally in spicy mayo and roll in cilantro


Greedy tips:
  • Note, I wrap the corn in bacon after its got an initial grill not raw. I prefer that way because you get a much nicer char flavor.
  • If you are afraid of the  bacon sticking to your grill you can char the corn on the grill, then wrap it in the bacon and finish in the oven. That will cook the bacon without risk of sticking to the grill. Cook on a backing tray and wire rack to make sure all sides of the bacon get golden.
  • And yes...the ingredients say half of 1 clove of garlic. a whole one would be too much garlic and overpower the whole thing, you just want a hint. 








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment