Tuesday 26 June 2018

Ginger lime Grilled potato salad



"We be Grillin"

Ever made a grilled potato salad? No? Then here is your chance. I can’t lie, this recipe was a reach. I wanted to make potato salad, but I had to make the dish fit in with this month of grilling. I had no idea if it would work, but I took a leap of faith, and it paid off.


This is by far one of my favorite potato salad recipes. It tastes fresh and light. The ginger and lemon is absolutely perfect with the grilled potatoes and the sweet mayo dressing. And as all potato and pasta salads, it only got better with age. We were enjoying the left overs well into the week. It’s a little on the sweet side, but I did that purposely to counteract any extra bitterness that I may have from the grilling of the potato.

If you wanted to experiment with how to grill the potatoes, I’m thinking of a few other options I may try next time.  What I did for this attempt, was to slice them thin and grill over direct heat. That way they cook all the way through and still get the char.  After I grilled them, I let it rest, then chopped them up and add in the dressing. The only downfall with this, is if you don’t cut them thin enough, or your flames are too high, you could end up burning the potatoes while it’s still undercooked. (I had a few bits of potato pieces that fell victim to this) You could also smoke them skin on or wrap them in foil and roast them on the grill. The two latter options will yield more of a baked potato consistency. Slicing thin and direct grilling gives it more of a chip like texture; grittier, less soft. I still will try the other two methods before I come to a final decision on which grill cooking method is best.

Any way you choose it’s a winner. The char mixed with the lime and ginger just screams summer.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

10 potatoes
Salt
Water
Oil
Ginger simple syrup
¼ cup Sugar
¼ cup Water
1 tablespoon fresh Ginger
Dressing
¾ cup mayo
2 limes (juice and zest)
¼ cup very finely minced red onion
1 pinch Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes

Instructions

For the Ginger simple syrup
  • Combine sugar and water to boil until the sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, remove from the heat and add fresh ginger, cover and set aside overnight.
  • Strain the ginger from the syrup and store in an air tight container until ready for use

For the potatoes
  • Peel and slice all the potatoes and place in salted water to soak for 20 minutes
  • Rinse, pat dry and coat in a small amount of oil
  • Place on a hot grill, cook until a fork goes through easily and its charred on both sides
  • Place all the grilled potatoes in a covered container and set aside until its cooled or room temp.

For the dressing
  • Combine, ginger simple syrup, mayo, red onion, lime juice, lime zest, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
  • Toss the cooled potatoes into the dressing and place in the refrigerator to chill before serving.







XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment