Friday 4 October 2013

Pumpkin Coconut Leek soup


"Pumpkin Everythang”

Like clockwork  the day I decided to make a lovely pumpkin soup here comes the rain, perfect timing. I had originally wanted to make a pumpkin wonton soup. However when I got to the grocery store they were all out of wonton skins, and ‘aint’ no way I’m making that dough from scratch, so plan B. A few isles down I spotted some leeks and figured, they probably taste like onions or scallions, so they should pair well with pumpkin, not to mention some coconut milk.

I have actually never consumed, purchased, cleaned or cooked leeks ever before. I was actually surprised to know that you don’t use the green leafy tops, I assumed it was just the same as scallions (good thing I googled before I started cooking lol)

I chose a beef broth, because I feel soups always taste richer with a beef base rather than chicken or veggie, it’s just heartier in my opinion. I like a soup where you can taste the ingredients clearly and in this soup the flavor if the pumpkin leek and coconut milk really do shine. It’s a creamy soup yet still has a little more fluidity, so it’s not like you’re having porridge.  You don’t even have to blend this up; if you prefer chunkier soups you can certainly skip the blending stage and get straight to eating. It’s very simple and easy. It took about 45 minutes to prepare. 

You have had your complementary bread  now your soup is served...





2 leeks
3 cups diced pumpkin
1 sachet of powdered coconut milk
2 cups water
2 cups beef broth (salted)
3 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp. salted butter
2 cloves garlic minced
½ tsp. hot pepper
1 tsp. all spice
1 tsp, salt
 ½ tsp black pepper
Smoked paprika for garnish






Greedy Tips:

1. The smaller you dice the pumpkin the faster they cook
2. When washing the leeks make sure to strain it from the top of the water, the dirt and sand will fall to the bottom of the dish and the clean leeks will float
3. You can use 2 cups of any broth you prefer
4. If the soup is not salty enough for you add salt in 1/2 tsp increments until you have reached your desired salt level.

Xoxo Greedygirl