Friday 25 October 2013

Pumpkin Rum Cake




  "Pumpkin Everythang”


It’s time for the dessert course 

Regardless of what anyone says, I absolutely love Paula Dean. She has always been one of my favorite cooking personalities on TV. I always love the chefs that give you recipes that tastes as delicious as they looks.  And with Paula, rest assured you can follow her recipes and be happy. Thanks to her we inducted a pumpkin bar recipe into our family, to us  its known as the pumpkin cake.

I have a little sister who loves pumpkin pie more than anyone else in the world. I really am not a fan, I can only have the crust with a slight spread of filling on it, and no one else in the family likes it that much either. Back in college every thanksgiving the cafeteria bakery sold pumpkin pies, and year after year, my sister would order them and after thanksgiving is over it would sit in the fridge and she alone would slowly eat it. 

Now this particular year I had had enough, we needed a dessert that everyone liked. This was around 2008, food network was showing a whole treasure trove of thanksgiving recipe ideas and I was watching Paula’s show because I glimpsed her making a pumpkin bar. I quickly set the episode to record, the cake looked easy to make and delicious. I informed my sister that we would not be making or ordering a pumpkin pie (she was not pleased).

 I would have you know that the pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting finished that very same thanksgiving evening; everyone loved it, especially my brother. It became the go-to cake. I had made it so many times at one point I knew the measurements by heart. Church functions, dinner parties, PTA meetings, every time we make it people absolutely love it, Thanks giving is next month and I know the words pumpkin cake will pop out of someone’s mouth, probably my brothers, so I’m going to kick Paula’s recipe up a few notches with the addition of some bailey Irish rum cream, and extra spices. This is sure to be the new favorite come thanksgiving. Here is a link to the original recipe and below you will find the new pumpkin cake est. 2013





Ingredients  (Printable Recipe)

Cake

2 eggs
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 can pumpkin
1 cup Sangster’s rum cream
1 tbsp rum flavoring
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-3 cap fulls of over proof white rum


Lazy quick whip cream

Blend together in a blender until thick
1 cup Heavy cream
1/2 Rum cream

Your probably wondering why I called it a lazy quick whip cream. By the time the cake was done baking and cooled, I had already washed an put away my mixer and its attachments. To really make a true whip cream, I would have chilled the mixing bowl, added those same ingredient above along with a  table spoon of powdered sugar and whipped it on high speed in the blender till it formed stiff peaks like a meringue. I figured the small magic bullet cup and blade was way easier than getting out that heavy kitchen aid blender. As you can see, the short cut yielded  whip creams third cousin twice removed. Sometimes it pays to not be lazy and go the extra mile and wash a few dishes. So in addition to being greedy I am also lazy :)





Greedy Tip:


  • Feel free to top this with your favorite cream cheese icing. 


Still a yummy twist on our thanksgiving favorite.


Xoxo Greedygirl