Tuesday 4 February 2014

Jalapeno Sweet Corn Cakes




 Appetizing...


This month of recipes are inspired by a purchase I made over the Christmas holidays. My mother sister and I were in PriceSmart (Caribbean Costco) and I saw a 36 pc. appetizer serving set, it had 6 cute spoons, mini forks, shooters, small glass dishes and mini plates. I just had to have one. Immediately I wanted to get right into a month of appetizer recipes, however I was in the middle of “Greedy Girl Eats” and January was chocolate month. So without further ado I welcome February, my chance to use my cute little purchase from Christmas, First up, some yummy Jalapeno sweet corn cakes.

This is a dish we have all the time at cheesecake factory. Its my Aunt Careens favorite thing. They pull out all the stops, salsa Verde, salsa, avocado sour cream and southwest sauce. I knew my sweet corn cakes would be much simpler for a few reasons. 1. where on earth would I find tomatillos? 2. it’s not avocado season, so I would be traipsing the island in search of some imported avocados. 3. Grocery store was out of cilantro so no homemade salsa.

So I decided to keep it really simple, included some roasted jalapeno in my batter for a little kick, and garnished with bacon and southwest sauce. It’s a really creamy sweet bite of corn. The jalapenos go great with them and the salty bacon and cooling sauce are a great finish. 



Approximately 30 appetizer servings

Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 ½  8oz can cream corn
2/3 cup corn flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
½ tsp. baking powder
1 stick salted butter
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
2 tbsp. heavy cream
1 roasted jalapeno pepper (chopped)

Bacon bits

Southwestern sauce
 ½ cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp water
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder


Instructions 

  • Mix all the ingredients for the southwest sauce and place in the refrigerator
  • Place the Jalapeno on an open flame and blister on all sides until charred and black
  • Place in a covered container and leave to steam for 5 minutes
  • Wash and scrap off the charred skin remove the seeds and stem, chop into small pieces, set aside
  • Beat butter in a mixer. 
  • Add the corn flour and water mix until incorporated.
  • Pour creamed corn and cream into the butter mixture.
  • In another bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder.
  • Add flour mixture and jalapenos to the butter mixture stir to combine. 
  • Pour batter into an 8×8 inch baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a larger container and fill half way up with hot water
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. 
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scoop out desired portions garnish with sauce and bacon bits


Before the sauce


Greedy tips

  • Allow this to cool for 20 minutes or completely before scooping.
  • Top this with avocado, salsa and sour cream 
  • the colder or closer to room temp this is the firmer it becomes.
  • If you ask me, its even better if you make it the day before so it firms up in the refrigerator over night. Warmed up the next day its so good

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment