Tuesday 22 April 2014

Potato Asparagus alfredo pizza



M..eat...less


I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. We had quite a relaxing time in Ocho Rios at a friend’s guest house.  The place had the most spectacular views, was so breathtaking. Went to the blue hole, dipped in the ocean, had breakfast by the pool with lovely sea views and finally took in the last few hours of racing at Dover raceway.  Now after all that fun its back to reality and another blog post. And yes my friends, it’s another pizza.

For some reason, pizzas ideas just flow so easily through my head. This is the third pizza I’ve made in the past two months; first the red salmon pizza then the spinach and mushroom pizza. Of the three I will say the salmon pizza is my favorite so far and I have many other pizza ideas in store.  

I love grilled asparagus, because it’s light on the calories and has a nice subtle flavor. However its truly just a place holder in this recipe. If asparagus is not your thing you can top the pizza with your favorite grilled vegetable; eggplant, broccoli or sweet peppers. The only thing I think I may do next time is make pizza dough from scratch; this dough is acceptable but just a bit on the flat side. It lacks the chewy texture that a true pizza crust should have. 




The potato slices should be as thin as possible so they cook quickly and evenly. I wish I had a mandolin slicer to make the job easier, however if doing this by hand patience and a very sharp knife are your best friends. I managed to get my slices super thin. And they went well on the pizza. 



Ingredients(printable recipe)

1 large potato 
1 tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup Alfredo sauce
1 prepared Pizza dough
½ cup mozzarella
½ cup parmesan cheese


Rosemary Alfredo sauce
2 tablespoon butter
2 stems rosemary (or any herb you prefer)
7 cloves garlic
1 cup Milk
1 cup cream
1 ½ Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
¼ teaspoon Black pepper


Instructions:

To make sauce

  • Melt butter in a saucepan
  • Sauté the rosemary stems in the oil for a few minutes
  • Add milk, cream, salt, black pepper and sugar, bring to a boil
  • Once it’s coming to a boil remove rosemary stems
  • Reduce heat and add parmesan cheese and crushed garlic
  • Cook sauce until thick and set aside. 

For the pizza:

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Prepare the pizza dough (I use the just add hot water versions)
  • Toss the asparagus in oils and salt and grill until lightly charred then chop into bite sizes
  • Slice your potatoes as thin as possible
  • Roll out the dough and place spread the alfredo sauce all over it
  • Place a layer of potatoes all over and place in the hot oven for 7 minutes
  • Remove from the oven top with the asparagus and cheese, then put back in the oven for another 7-8 minutes
  • serve







 This is a very simple pizza recipe, if you want even more of a shortcut you can use a store bought alfredo sauce. I prefer white sauces or chutney as my pizza sauce as you can see from the pizza recipes Ive been posting. But if you like red sauce by all means use that as the base for your pizzas and get creative with your toppings.


 Check out the amazing views from this past weekend
took these images with my Nikon D5100




Xoxo greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment