Friday 20 June 2014

Cookie 'n' cream icecream cake


Cake Cake Cake...



As the years go by it seems that there is less and less cookie in an actual cookie and cream ice-cream, blame it on the economy. The cookie has always been the best part of that ice-cream flavor for me. What I began to do, rather than a ready-made cookie and cream ice-cream, I would go to a done to order cold stone or froyo joint, where I can add as much cookies as I would like. But sometimes you don’t want to wait in line, you want to open your freezer and have it your way. And as we know there is no better way to remedy culinary shortcomings by making the dish in question yourself. So I attempted to create a cookie and cream ice-cream with an overload of cookies…just the way I like it.


The only way to truly achieve the overload of cookie was with layering. I decided to do it in a layer cake style (after all this is cake month) so every single bite had huge chunks of cookies to chew on. The best thing about this post is it’s the first video post of me making ice-cream. Normally I do ice-creams as a written post because it’s a two day process, however I felt it necessary for you to see how easy this recipe actually is and how fool proof making ice-cream can be. And this is actually the harder method, as making ice-creams with no eggs is even easier. I really do believe everyone should have an ice-cream maker at home. Homemade Ice-creams taste better; you can control the sugar and the types of milk you use to customize your dessert to perfection. It’s the only way to live.






Ingredients (printable recipe)

6 egg yolks
¾ cup white sugar
2 cup whole milk
2 cup cream
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
½ vanilla bean stalk
½ tsp. Nutmeg
36 Oreo cookies (cream removed)
6 tablespoon melted butter








Greedy tips

  • As you can see my cookie sheets cracked when assembling, if you want yours to remain solid, slice into three as soon as it comes out of the oven when it’s still soft because as it cools it hardens. but even if it cracks use them anyway
  • In the video I used parchment paper, however I recommend using saran wrap because if your parchment/wax paper is not strong it will rip when wet from the ice-cream
  • Do be patient, the ice-cream needs to firm up to it can be sliced easily
  • To release it from the pan run a little water on the bottom of the pan and the cake will come out easily
  • When tempering your eggs gradually add the warm mile mixture to the egg, if the milk mixture is too hot the eggs will scramble, and form little clumps in the mixture. But if that does happen a little no worries just strain the liquid before churning into ice-cream.
  • You can make this same recipe with no eggs for an egg free ice-cream base click here then follow all the instructions for the cookie n cream recipe
  • A sharp hot knife cuts this like butter, boil some water and place the knife in the water for 1 to 2 minutes dry the knife then slice the cake. 
  • This is the ice cream maker I use



Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment