Friday 6 June 2014

Not your mothers Pineapple upside-down cupcake


Cake Cake Cake...


By now you all should know how much I love an upside down cupcake. I have tried blueberry and strawberry upside down cupcakes in the past. However the pineapple upside down is the most socially acceptable. Since I’m never one to follow rules and traditions I did the pineapple upside down my way.

By my way I mean flipping over these delicious cupcakes and swirling a pineapple cream cheese icing on the tops, or shall I say bottom. The icing is really simple made from cream cheese sugar and chopped pineapples. The cake batter is on another level of yum, with the flavors of lime and pineapple; I use the zest of two limes in addition to the pineapple juice to flavor the batter. 

Whats great about this upside down cake is it gives the eater the option to have their cake with or without the added sweet element. In particular my mother, she hates when I add icings, and extra sweet toppings to cakes. So it was a nice change to make a cake and have each person add the pineapple icing if they choose. As usual this cupcake did not break the 24 hour mark. I mean the recipe only makes 12 cupcakes, a taste here, a nibble there and by the time you realize there is one left.





Makes 12 or 24 depending on how much you fill your pan


Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 stick salted butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
1 ¾  cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup pineapple juice
2 limes (Zest)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing
½ cup chopped pineapple (4 pineapple slices)
½ cup sugar
8oz cream cheese




Greedy tips
  • I intentionally overfill these cupcakes so they overflow. So don't worry if they do make that mushroom shape great for a flat top/bottom
  • I used the small 8oz can of pineapple slices. I used the juice and sliced the pineapples. the one can is enough for the recipe
  • I store my pineapple cream cheese icing in the refrigerator and only put it on the cupcake before serving
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until the tester comes out clean

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment