Tuesday 22 July 2014

Strawberry Mint Daiquiri


Cool it down



The moment you drink a strawberry daiquiri it’s officially summer. I don’t think any other drink reminds me of summer and the beach more than a strawberry daiquiri, not even a Pina Colada. My sister and her best friend love this drink so much. I find it to be a lovely drink but ultimately most versions I’ve had are way too sweet and the flavor is a bit one note. So I decided to add some mint to see if I could give this drink a refreshing makeover.
 

Just in case you were wondering this is a virgin strawberry D. I have always hated daiquiris and pina coladas with the rum. I find it always masks the yummy flavors of the drink. Feel free to splash rum in this if you like, but I don’t think the mint will matter flavor wise with any added rum. 

One thing I always hated with homemade blended drinks was the ice separating while the drink sits. I am very happy to have found a solution for that.. If you have a standard blender adding ice only chops them into very small bits and while you’re drinking the drink it will separate; unless you have an extremely powerful blender that turns ice into slush (which I don’t). It’s best to freeze your strawberries or whatever fruit you’re using instead. And then use a higher ratio of frozen fruit to liquid to get that smoothie slushy consistency. And if you still want it more icy, just dump it into an ice-cream maker to churn for a few minutes and you will have perfection. 



Serves 4-8
Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 ½ cup hot water
1 sprig of fresh mint or 1 tea bag
¼ cup strawberry syrup
2 tablespoon sugar
2 cup frozen strawberries
1 lime juice

Instructions

  • Prepare the mint by steeping the tea bag or the fresh mint in the hot water for 20 minutes
  • Strain and allow it to completely cool
  • Blend together the mint tea, syrup, sugar, strawberries and lime juice
  • You will have a slightly icy but slushy drinkable texture






Greedy Tips:

If you want an even more slushy consistency you can place the mixture in an ice-cream maker to enhance the texture, or you can freeze it for 45 minutes to an hour, until it’s a bit more firm and then blend a second time.



Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment